Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Planer knives are sharp!

Tue, Aug 7, 2007, 1:48am (EDT+4) (Island*Teak) doth
sayeth:
Interesting...two decades ago I was splitting some bamboo with a
machete....being careful not to
cut myself with the machete.....sliced my hand open with the edge of the
bamboo.
We all do things wrong once....no sense to condescend.

No condescend about it. I consciously think about what can hurt me
in my shop, and I take steps to try to make sure it doesn't hurt me. As
I know damn well jointer knives are sharp, I'm not about to stick my
hand in something like that without seeing where my fingers are in
relation to the blades. So, I'd use a stick. I also knew bamboo was
used as punji sticks in Viet Nam too. It'll slide thru a regular boot
sole just as easily as a sharp metal blade. Buddy of mine got a purple
heart that way; and I never even saw a punji stick whie I was there. Go
figure.

JOAT
I do things I don't know how to do, so that I might learn how to do
them.
- Picasso