Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hinge Mortising Systems - multiple hinges, adjustable mortises

I see that Bosch has some sort of system for mortising butt hinges for
doors. I'm interested in one that can handle 4 or more hinges at
once, and the individual mortising jigs would preferably be
adjustable. It seems I get a lot of screwy sized custom hinges at
work. Has anyone used this? Are there others that any of you would
recommend? thanks
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Porter Cable has had that system for many years...

http://www.mikestools.com/59381-Port...plate-Kit.aspx
http://www.mikestools.com/Porter-Cab...quot;%20title=

Jay Pique wrote:

I see that Bosch has some sort of system for mortising butt hinges for
doors. I'm interested in one that can handle 4 or more hinges at
once, and the individual mortising jigs would preferably be
adjustable. It seems I get a lot of screwy sized custom hinges at
work. Has anyone used this? Are there others that any of you would
recommend? thanks
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:39:14 -0700, Jay Pique
wrote:

I see that Bosch has some sort of system for mortising butt hinges for
doors. I'm interested in one that can handle 4 or more hinges at
once, and the individual mortising jigs would preferably be
adjustable.

Several manufacturers make them.
The one I use most is a Milwaukee. It (and I believe most other
brands) is adjustable for hinge size and door thickness and height but
will only do 3 hinges at a time. There may be a 4 hinge version or
you may be able to buy another section (rod and template) since they
just thumbscrew together. When I need 4 hinges I just set it up for
the top three and then measure and slide the whole thing down for the
fourth.
If you need the 4 hinge version and can't find one, your dealer might
be able to get the proper parts or you could buy 2 sets and combine
them. That's assuming your model will easily allow you to add another
section. I think most will.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I see that Bosch has some sort of system for mortising butt hinges for
doors. I'm interested in one that can handle 4 or more hinges at
once, and the individual mortising jigs would preferably be
adjustable. It seems I get a lot of screwy sized custom hinges at
work. Has anyone used this? Are there others that any of you would
recommend? thanks
JP

I have the bosch rig and it is very good. the four hinge setup is an
accessory package that comes with 1 hinge jig and a set of shorter
conecting rods. they are 2 piece rods that make it posible to get
nearly any configuration you want. what i usualy do is just screw the
four templates to a piece of ceiling grid instead of setting up the
rails. its quicker for me because i have to take down and set up
fairly often. YMMV. :-

skeez
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I see that Bosch has some sort of system for mortising butt hinges for
doors. I'm interested in one that can handle 4 or more hinges at
once, and the individual mortising jigs would preferably be
adjustable. It seems I get a lot of screwy sized custom hinges at
work. Has anyone used this? Are there others that any of you would
recommend? thanks
JP

I have the bosch rig and it is very good. the four hinge setup is an
accessory package that comes with 1 hinge jig and a set of shorter
conecting rods. they are 2 piece rods that make it posible to get
nearly any configuration you want. what i usualy do is just screw the
four templates to a piece of ceiling grid instead of setting up the
rails. its quicker for me because i have to take down and set up
fairly often. YMMV. :-

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try and find someplace to take a
look at the Bosch, as I like the fact that it is "made" for a 4 hinge
set-up. I'll check out the Milwaukee too.

JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

the Milwaukee is a good jig too. its almost identical to the bosch.

skeez