dustyone

Default Butler's Table Hinge Mortises

Hello everyone,

I'm building a butler's table and I've reached the point where I need
to cut the 16 mortises in the table top and leaves. They need to be
perfect, as they are a feature of the table top. Has anyone built one
of these tables? I'm sure there's a jig which can be built, but the
past two hours have yielded nothing. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Curt Blood

Andy Dingley

On 9 Nov 2005 17:09:09 -0800, "dustyone" wrote:

I'm building a butler's table and I've reached the point where I need
to cut the 16 mortises in the table top and leaves.

Router, guide bush, and a custom-made template. Cut a few prototypes
first to check fit.

Many butler's table hinges are oval, which are dead easy with a router.
Use the biggest cutter diameter you can. For the square cornered ones,
use a smaller cutter and trim with a chisel afterwards.
dustyone

Andy,

I've been thinking, and I just might cut them by hand. It will be more
tedious, but I think I'll have more fine control of the process. The
template idea is a good one, and since my hinges are oval, I may yet
try it. Thanks.