DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hinge Mortising Systems - multiple hinges, adjustable mortises (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/209039-hinge-mortising-systems-multiple-hinges-adjustable-mortises.html)

Jay Pique August 2nd 07 12:39 AM

Hinge Mortising Systems - multiple hinges, adjustable mortises

I see that Bosch has some sort of system for mortising butt hinges for
doors. I'm interested in one that can handle 4 or more hinges at
once, and the individual mortising jigs would preferably be
adjustable. It seems I get a lot of screwy sized custom hinges at
work. Has anyone used this? Are there others that any of you would
recommend? thanks
JP

Pat Barber August 2nd 07 08:13 PM

Hinge Mortising Systems - multiple hinges, adjustable mortises

Porter Cable has had that system for many years...

http://www.mikestools.com/59381-Port...plate-Kit.aspx
http://www.mikestools.com/Porter-Cab...quot;%20title=

Mike O. August 3rd 07 05:12 AM

Hinge Mortising Systems - multiple hinges, adjustable mortises

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 16:39:14 -0700, Jay Pique
wrote:

I see that Bosch has some sort of system for mortising butt hinges for
doors. I'm interested in one that can handle 4 or more hinges at
once, and the individual mortising jigs would preferably be
adjustable.

Several manufacturers make them.
The one I use most is a Milwaukee. It (and I believe most other
brands) is adjustable for hinge size and door thickness and height but
will only do 3 hinges at a time. There may be a 4 hinge version or
you may be able to buy another section (rod and template) since they
just thumbscrew together. When I need 4 hinges I just set it up for
the top three and then measure and slide the whole thing down for the
fourth.
If you need the 4 hinge version and can't find one, your dealer might
be able to get the proper parts or you could buy 2 sets and combine
them. That's assuming your model will easily allow you to add another
section. I think most will.

Mike O.

skeez August 3rd 07 08:44 PM

wrote:

I see that Bosch has some sort of system for mortising butt hinges for
doors. I'm interested in one that can handle 4 or more hinges at
once, and the individual mortising jigs would preferably be
adjustable. It seems I get a lot of screwy sized custom hinges at
work. Has anyone used this? Are there others that any of you would
recommend? thanks
JP

I have the bosch rig and it is very good. the four hinge setup is an
accessory package that comes with 1 hinge jig and a set of shorter
conecting rods. they are 2 piece rods that make it posible to get
nearly any configuration you want. what i usualy do is just screw the
four templates to a piece of ceiling grid instead of setting up the
rails. its quicker for me because i have to take down and set up
fairly often. YMMV. :-

skeez

Jay Pique August 3rd 07 10:54 PM

wrote:

I see that Bosch has some sort of system for mortising butt hinges for
doors. I'm interested in one that can handle 4 or more hinges at
once, and the individual mortising jigs would preferably be
adjustable. It seems I get a lot of screwy sized custom hinges at
work. Has anyone used this? Are there others that any of you would
recommend? thanks
JP

I have the bosch rig and it is very good. the four hinge setup is an
accessory package that comes with 1 hinge jig and a set of shorter
conecting rods. they are 2 piece rods that make it posible to get
nearly any configuration you want. what i usualy do is just screw the
four templates to a piece of ceiling grid instead of setting up the
rails. its quicker for me because i have to take down and set up
fairly often. YMMV. :-

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try and find someplace to take a
look at the Bosch, as I like the fact that it is "made" for a 4 hinge
set-up. I'll check out the Milwaukee too.

JP

skeez August 4th 07 01:51 AM

Hinge Mortising Systems - multiple hinges, adjustable mortises

wrote:

[...]

the Milwaukee is a good jig too. its almost identical to the bosch.

skeez