Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default pin nails holding power (ref: to Norm as well)

You know how Norm is always shooting a "couple" nails in until the
glue sets up...?

I am wondering how well those little teeny pin nails (ala Grex) work
as pseudo clamps until the glue sets up when attaching part a to part
b (say plywood pieces) w/glue.

IOW, do the pins merely serve to hold the item in place and have
virtually no clamping force (due to their size and lack of a head)?

I have a piece that will form a 45 degree angle when attached to a
3/4" ply edge that won't have any real force acting on them (merely
decorative) and I don't feel like going to the trouble of biscuits or
dowels. Clamping is difficult due to the angle (though I could whip
up a jig if needed, I suppose). So, I figure I'll just glue 'em up,
and shoot some pins/nails "until the glue sets up".

Anyway, is this enough, do y'all think, or should I at least use real
clamps (w/a jig or such)?

So many words for such a simple question....

Thanx
Renata