Posted to rec.woodworking

Default US Govt to confiscate Leigh FMT jigs!

OK, that may not happen for a very long time. While we're waiting, maybe
an FMT user could answer a question:

When using an FMT for cutting tenons on multiples of something small
like spindles, how do you position each one to the right height? I see
that the first one is set to height by positioning it up against the
sliding plastic crosshairs thing (sorry). But I was hoping that
successive parts could be positioned without removing the router from
the jig - in my shop I often can't find a place to put anything down
without moving stuff that got there first. So do you have to find a
place to put the router and set each part with the crosshairs or is
there some other provision for multiple small parts? I'm hoping Leigh or
one of you has solved this "problem".

TIA
PDX David
Posted to rec.woodworking

I've owned my FMT for a bit over 2 years now and have streamlined several
steps when using it.

The crosshair piece is the normal way to set the height, but I have made
multiple pieces on several projects by building a wood holding/locating
fixture under the table and then placing an alignment mark on it. I then put
a mark at the correct place on all of the pieces to be machined. The lower
plate that you clamp to has holes in it for bolting on any kind of fixture
that you choose to make. When placing a new part into the FMT, I just align
my marks. This has proven more than accurate enough to satisfy my needs.

I built a stand (sort of a small table) out of scrap that I place behind the
FMT, straddling the vacuum hose. The top is at the same height as the top of
the FMT. When I remove the router from the FMT I just move it back and set
it on this stand. When I first got my FMT I was using a Ryobi RE600 3 1/2 HP
(13 lb)router with it. After lifting the router on and off a few hundred
times on the first day of production I found that my arms wouldn't go up
above my shoulders any more. I solved this problem by building the stand and
also by buying a DeWalt DW618 router, which is almost 1/2 the weight of the
RE600.

Charley

"Jane & David" wrote in message
OK, that may not happen for a very long time. While we're waiting, maybe
an FMT user could answer a question:

When using an FMT for cutting tenons on multiples of something small
like spindles, how do you position each one to the right height? I see
that the first one is set to height by positioning it up against the
sliding plastic crosshairs thing (sorry). But I was hoping that
successive parts could be positioned without removing the router from
the jig - in my shop I often can't find a place to put anything down
without moving stuff that got there first. So do you have to find a
place to put the router and set each part with the crosshairs or is
there some other provision for multiple small parts? I'm hoping Leigh or
one of you has solved this "problem".

TIA
PDX David

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jane & David" wrote in message
OK, that may not happen for a very long time. While we're waiting, maybe

Charley,

Thanks a lot - I knew someone must have thought this through and come up
with something sensible. Sometimes when I can't seem to fire-up enough
brain cells, my solutions to problems get a bit over-elaborate.

Thanks again,
PDX David
Posted to rec.woodworking

Glad to help.

Next time don't put me in panic mode by saying the Feds are confiscating
FMTs.

Charley

"Jane & David" wrote in message
In article ,

,

Thanks a lot - I knew someone must have thought this through and come up
with something sensible. Sometimes when I can't seem to fire-up enough
brain cells, my solutions to problems get a bit over-elaborate.

Thanks again,
PDX David

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
"Charley" wrote:

Glad to help.

Next time don't put me in panic mode by saying the Feds are confiscating
FMTs.

Charley

Sorry for the shock, but I was having trouble setting the hook :-) I
posted the question a couple of times with no response, so I thought
some attention-getting device might help. Below the belt, of course but
it works. I blame it on the years I spent working with advertising
people.

Thanks again for the help.

PDX David

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sorry, I don't get to spend time here every day, and when I do I usually
only look at what was posted on that day. I guess my timing was wrong to
catch your previous posts. You can e-mail me direct if you have any
additional questions, but use the word "Leigh" in your subject line to get
my attention. I look at my e-mails more frequently, but get a lot of garbage
that I just trash, unless I recognize either the sender or the subject.

Charley

"Jane & David" wrote in message
In article ,
"Charley" wrote:

Glad to help.

Next time don't put me in panic mode by saying the Feds are confiscating
FMTs.

Charley

Sorry for the shock, but I was having trouble setting the hook :-) I
posted the question a couple of times with no response, so I thought
some attention-getting device might help. Below the belt, of course but
it works. I blame it on the years I spent working with advertising
people.

Thanks again for the help.

PDX David

Leigh Dovetail Jigs: New Design, Affordably Priced NuWaveDave Woodworking 11 June 7th 07 05:40 AM
Boilers etc from Govt "Energy-smart" scheme - any experience? Lobster UK diy 4 March 28th 07 11:18 PM
Leigh Jigs Tattooed and Dusty Woodworking 3 September 22nd 05 03:29 AM
FS: Leigh FMT JPE Woodworking 0 August 20th 05 01:14 AM
Leigh FMT Jig Richards Woodworking 12 November 10th 03 02:21 PM