Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Arrgh! - Almost had a new shop location...

Spotted in the paper last night:

GREAT STARTER HOME, 2-story, 3BR,
gutted, new roof & sided, fixer-
upper located in Red Oak, Iowa,
$2,800.

It was, of course, sold before I could get through on the phone. :-(

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

I feel your pain. ;-) My wife and I have been looking at houses for about a
year. Either the house is too small, out of our price range, no room to
build a shop, etc. We go to an open house this past weekend. Nice big house,
30x40 shop (with DC to stay with), pool, and plenty of storage barns (4 of
them at a minimum of 12x20). We fall in love and confirm our mortgage amount
and make an offer the next day. I almost cried when they accepted an offer 2
hours before us.

Back to my cramped shop,
Allen

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Spotted in the paper last night:

GREAT STARTER HOME, 2-story, 3BR,
gutted, new roof & sided, fixer-
upper located in Red Oak, Iowa,
$2,800.

It was, of course, sold before I could get through on the phone. :-(

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DeSoto, Iowa USA
http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Allen Roy" wrote in message

We go to an open house this past weekend. Nice big house,
30x40 shop (with DC to stay with), pool, and plenty of storage barns (4 of
them at a minimum of 12x20). We fall in love and confirm our mortgage

amount
and make an offer the next day. I almost cried when they accepted an offer

2
hours before us.

Hell, that made me cry!

Back to my cramped shop,

I'm dreaming of one of these days being able to rip an 8' board without
cutting it down to 95" AND removing the top drawer out of the built-in
cabinet on the wall on the outfeed side.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in
:
snip
Back to my cramped shop,

I'm dreaming of one of these days being able to rip an 8' board
without cutting it down to 95" AND removing the top drawer out of the
built-in cabinet on the wall on the outfeed side.

It doesn't necessarily get better. The problem just moves around. To rip
a 12' board, I have to clear the west end of the workbench, and roll the
Unisaw out into the driveway. That generally ends up being a 45 minute
task, because of all the related 'stuff'.

It's a law of the hobbyist workshop. One to 4 dimensions of the space will
be inadequate at any given time. And that doesn't account for the next
generation working on a 'small project', and leaving huge disorganization
behind in their wake. ;-)

It's my mess. I used to know where my stuff was.

Or maybe that's a different problem.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Patriarch" wrote in message

It's a law of the hobbyist workshop. One to 4 dimensions of the space

will
be inadequate at any given time. And that doesn't account for the next
generation working on a 'small project', and leaving huge disorganization
behind in their wake. ;-)

Yabbut, I routinely build _entire_ kitchens in this palatial space.

But it does get hilarious to watch, I'd bet.

Where there's a will!... and I'm happy to have a shop to do it in, and bitch
about.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 08:38:16 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

"Swingman" wrote in
m:
[...]

I hear the part about clearing the bench... *sigh*

It must be some kind of law of physics or something that says that the more flat
surfaces you have in the shop, the more things you find to lay there
"temporarily"..

My saw is in a 15' x 40' carport and I still have to move junk and roll tools
out of the way to cut long stuff..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 18, 11:57 am, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
Spotted in the paper last night:

GREAT STARTER HOME, 2-story, 3BR,
gutted, new roof & sided, fixer-
upper located in Red Oak, Iowa,
$2,800.

It was, of course, sold before I could get through on the phone. :-(

Damn! They're giving away houses in Iowa.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jeff wrote:
| On Jul 18, 11:57 am, "Morris Dovey" wrote:
|| Spotted in the paper last night:
|| GREAT STARTER HOME, 2-story, 3BR,
|| gutted, new roof & sided, fixer-
|| upper located in Red Oak, Iowa,
|| $2,800.
|| It was, of course, sold before I could get through on the phone.
|| :-(
|
| Damn! They're giving away houses in Iowa.....

Not very often. Average price of a new home in the Des Moines area is
something like a quarter-million.

From the description, I guessed that this house had been fire-damaged.
Red Oak, however nice a town it might be, has a population about 6000
and is a fair distance from almost anywhere that might show up on a
map of the USA (the closest such features would be the Missouri River
and Omaha).

Remote is nice until you think about such things as TV, internet
connectivity, theaters, restaurants, car repairs, lumberyards,...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Back to my cramped shop,

I'm dreaming of one of these days being able to rip an 8' board without
cutting it down to 95" AND removing the top drawer out of the built-in
cabinet on the wall on the outfeed side.

Home Depot will cut your lumber for you :-)

--
********
Bill Pounds

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message

Home Depot will cut your lumber for you :-)

Sure thing ... with a tolerance of 1/8" a foot, I'll be sure to bring the
next load of QSWO straight over there.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

snip

| I'm dreaming of one of these days being able to rip an 8' board without
| cutting it down to 95" AND removing the top drawer out of the built-in
| cabinet on the wall on the outfeed side.

I don't have such a small space, but me and most everyone and every type of
shop has "real estate" problems.
It just comes with the territory. I'm thinking I will have to build on to
the rear of the shop to accomodate the dust collector and compressor and
have more storage space for sheet stock. But I know that I will still be
rolling around machines for the rest of my life.

woodstuff