Posted to rec.woodworking

Default router bit for my current cabinet door

Hi,

I am looking for a router bit for matching my existing cabinet door.
Here is the link of the profile. http://www.flickr.com/photos/10142540@N04/828276943/
.. I know I can do it in several steps. However I can't find a router
bit for the middle part. Just wonder if any router expert knows a
router bit like this.

Thanks!

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
Hi,

I am looking for a router bit for matching my existing cabinet door.
Here is the link of the profile.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10142540@N04/828276943/
. I know I can do it in several steps. However I can't find a router
bit for the middle part. Just wonder if any router expert knows a
router bit like this.

Too big for many router bits to cut in one section. You're probably
looking for shaper cutter to match the profile in a go (and it'll have
to be 3/4" arbor minimum) or match up as nearly as you can in steps, as
you say, and hand smooth/fair the edges.

If you need enough linear feet, you can always have custom profiles
ground (or grind them yourself from blanks).

Check Amana Tool if you haven't, btw...

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:

Check Amana Tool if you haven't, btw...

Oh, I meant to add...bring your wallet!

Posted to rec.woodworking

--

Thanks for the quick reply and suggestion!
Actually I only need the middle part which is only 1 1/4 inch long. If

Any idea will help.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
On Jul 16, 10:54 am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Well, I'd probably start by taking some waste out w/ dado set on the
tablesaw at an angle. Then, might be able to get a panel raiser or
similar to take that down to profile. The center could be a modified
beading cutter of the proper diameter. Etc., ...

Just have to work on these things and piece out what you can. And, of
course, have to make sure do it in the proper order to have a bearing
surface left...

Have you done an extensive search for the profile from commercial
millworks? Most of these profiles are pretty well standardized.

How many (linear) feet and what material?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 16, 5:19 pm, dpb wrote:
wrote:
On Jul 16, 10:54 am, dpb wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks! Your method really gives me some ideas of what to do.
Yes, I did search on many websites, but I was not lucky enough to get
the exact same profile. I only need for 2 cabinet doors. Anyway, if I
really can't find the right one, I will just get around it by install
drawers instead of doors.

Thank you!

Tom