Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound

Default Cabinet door router sets

Any comments on the Screwfix version? I've only got one kitchen to do, would
the more expensive Freud stuff be worth it? Any other tips?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Newshound wrote:
Any comments on the Screwfix version? I've only got one kitchen to
do, would the more expensive Freud stuff be worth it? Any other tips?

Cheap cutters have a habit of becoming blunt after so many cuts,they'll
still cut but with rough edgings.

If you're only buying one or two cutters go for the Frued

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:30:32 +0100, Newshound wrote
(in article ):

Any comments on the Screwfix version? I've only got one kitchen to do, would
the more expensive Freud stuff be worth it? Any other tips?

Yes, Freud is good as is CMT.

If you are going to use a good quality hardwood, then it is a false economy
to skimp on unknown tooling

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Newshound wrote:
Any comments on the Screwfix version? I've only got one kitchen to
do, would the more expensive Freud stuff be worth it? Any other tips?

Cheap cutters have a habit of becoming blunt after so many
cuts,they'll still cut but with rough edgings.

Not hard to sharpen a router cutter, quick rub with a diamond stone.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

The Medway Handyman wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Newshound wrote:
Any comments on the Screwfix version? I've only got one kitchen to
do, would the more expensive Freud stuff be worth it? Any other
tips?

Cheap cutters have a habit of becoming blunt after so many
cuts,they'll still cut but with rough edgings.

Not hard to sharpen a router cutter, quick rub with a diamond stone.

Impossible on most of the cutters I use.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:30:32 +0100, Newshound wrote
(in article ):

Any comments on the Screwfix version? I've only got one kitchen to do,
would
the more expensive Freud stuff be worth it? Any other tips?

Yes, Freud is good as is CMT.

If you are going to use a good quality hardwood, then it is a false
economy
to skimp on unknown tooling

Good point. I'll *probably* be using softwood or possibly MDF (still
undecided). Don't seem to be getting votes for the Screwfix stuff then.
Thanks all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Newshound wrote:
Any comments on the Screwfix version? I've only got one kitchen to
do, would the more expensive Freud stuff be worth it? Any other
tips?

Cheap cutters have a habit of becoming blunt after so many
cuts,they'll still cut but with rough edgings.

Not hard to sharpen a router cutter, quick rub with a diamond stone.

Impossible on most of the cutters I use.

Why? All the router cutters I've ever seen have two flat edges. Run a
diamond hone over them and the cutter sharpens up. Router cutters must be
the simplest things to sharpen in the world.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Lynch

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 22:19:12 +0100, Newshound wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:30:32 +0100, Newshound wrote
(in article ):

Any comments on the Screwfix version? I've only got one kitchen to do,
would
the more expensive Freud stuff be worth it? Any other tips?

Yes, Freud is good as is CMT.

If you are going to use a good quality hardwood, then it is a false
economy
to skimp on unknown tooling

Good point. I'll *probably* be using softwood or possibly MDF (still
undecided). Don't seem to be getting votes for the Screwfix stuff then.
Thanks all.

Why not just buy one of the cheap Screwfix (single) bits and make a few
hundred test runs that would simulate the work you are planning to do?
If you're still happy with the quality of the results you're getting
at the end of the test, then commit to the whole set of bits.
If you're not happy you could either practice sharpening the bit and
seeing if that helps, or if you really need to recoupl the few pounds
it cost, put it up on ebay as a used item.

Pete

--
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .