Posted to rec.woodworking
Mac Mac is offline

Default Loft bed construction

Hi all, I'm constructing a loft bed in the style that this chap
produces...
http://www.stubborn-norwegian.com/loft-beds.html

It's pretty straightforward stuff and I've reverse engineered plans
from his photographs and measurements. However, I can't figure out how
he's joined the headboard/footboard rails to the end posts - there's
no visible join. I thought they might be screwed and plugged or
doweled? In my case I've just used two 2 inch screws and brass cup
washers at each join and it seems plenty strong. Anbody any ideas on
how he produces a strong invisible join? I've asked him, but it
appears to be a secret...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 14, 10:37 am, Mac wrote:
Hi all, I'm constructing a loft bed in the style that this chap
produces...http://www.stubborn-norwegian.com/loft-beds.html

It's pretty straightforward stuff and I've reverse engineered plans
from his photographs and measurements. However, I can't figure out how
he's joined the headboard/footboard rails to the end posts - there's
no visible join. I thought they might be screwed and plugged or
doweled? In my case I've just used two 2 inch screws and brass cup
washers at each join and it seems plenty strong. Anbody any ideas on
how he produces a strong invisible join? I've asked him, but it
appears to be a secret...

They could be doweled, loose tenoned, or ohhhh...shiny Dominoed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mac" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all, I'm constructing a loft bed in the style that this chap
produces...
http://www.stubborn-norwegian.com/loft-beds.html

It's pretty straightforward stuff and I've reverse engineered plans
from his photographs and measurements. However, I can't figure out how
he's joined the headboard/footboard rails to the end posts - there's
no visible join. I thought they might be screwed and plugged or
doweled? In my case I've just used two 2 inch screws and brass cup
washers at each join and it seems plenty strong. Anbody any ideas on
how he produces a strong invisible join? I've asked him, but it
appears to be a secret...

Cut a recess in the post for half the rail, then glue and toenal. You could do a blind dovetail with
the recessed part for extra strength.
Or you could buy one and have a look.

Opinion on loft bed construction [email protected] Woodworking 1 May 24th 05 02:46 PM
Bed Construction stoutman Woodworking 9 January 5th 05 02:52 PM
Bed Construction stoutman Woodworking 3 December 3rd 04 11:52 PM
Board Loft or Loft Conversion Justin Hughes UK diy 8 August 18th 04 01:42 PM
construction insurance? AskMeNot Home Repair 4 March 1st 04 01:01 PM