Default Opinion on loft bed construction

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of designing/making a loft bed (bunk bed
without the bottom bed) and have been looking around the web for ideas.
I'm familar with most of the common construction methods - I've made a
regular bed in the past, after reading Jeff Miller's 'Beds: Outstanding
Projects from America's Best Craftsmen'.

I've come across one design I really like the look of and would like to
try and make something similar - see
http://www.stubborn-norwegian.com/im...1-fullsize.jpg.

I can see how they join the side rails to the legs (carriage bolts or
special hardware - this is visible in the pictures), but can't figure
out how they join the cross members e.g. the end/head rails to the
legs, steps on ladder to side rails, etc. There doesn't seem to be any
visible connection from either side i.e. no exposed screw heads, etc.
and they couldn't be screwed & plugged since the joint would have to be
knock-down for transport. Also, since the cross rails at either end may
be used as a ladder, the joint must be extremely strong!

After looking at above picture, does anybody have an idea how these
joints are constructed?

Thanks,

woodworker88

I don't know about that one, but I have a loft bed from IKEA which has
wood (birch plywood) vertical members, but enameled steel tubing cross
rails. The ladder pieces are steel tubing in which the ends have been
pinched/stamped to form a flat section at each end, which has a hole
drilled and a bolt inserted through the steel and the wooden side rails
of the ladder. Basically the ladder is connected to one of the 4
corner posts on the long side, and the other side of the rungs are
supported by another post. As for the cross pieces, they are steel
tubing with a special endcap that is threaded. Holes are drilled in
the posts, and bolts are threaded into the ends of the pipes. Since
the ladder is seperate, these pieces are merely for cross bracing, and
would not hold a person's weight.

Loft conversion - technical questions hansen UK diy 11 April 19th 05 07:51 PM
Loft Space just typed in a load of text and thought it would UK diy 0 January 18th 05 09:37 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Adding CH to new loft - advice please [email protected] UK diy 19 January 7th 04 08:58 AM