Posted to rec.woodworking
hex hex is offline

Default 3 phase care and feeding of older motors

Hi all,

After moving I am finally getting my woodshop reassembled. The new
space is in a pole barn at the new place. The pole barn has
negligible power but I want to rearrange the power feed anyway. New
feed will have the main breaker in the pole building and from there I
will distribute to house etc. The electric company has said they would
set a new transformer and my cost for that would be reasonable
(basically running wire from pole underground to transformer and it's
short run). So far so good. Across the road is 3 phase. I am
investigating the cost to get 3 phase added into the move. So here's
my question to the wreck: 120/208Y or 120/240 with a wild leg?
Power company will provide either.

I have a couple of older pieces (example: a WWII vintage Buffalo
drill press) that have been retrofitted with single phase motors. Am
always looking to pick up old machines cheap. I still have the
original motors and would like to put them back (freeing up the retro-
fit motors for other uses). The original drill press motor says 240V,
as it originally ran in a 240/415Y facility. I'm willing to lower my
expectations for motor power if I go with 208Y, but I do worry about
starting torque and premature motor death. Any real experience out
there on this?

Thanks!

hex
-30-

Posted to rec.woodworking

hex wrote:

Hi all,

Across the road is 3 phase. I am
investigating the cost to get 3 phase added into the move. So here's
my question to the wreck: 120/208Y or 120/240 with a wild leg?
Power company will provide either.

You mean there is still some place that will provide wild leg delta?

By all means, 208Y/120/3PH/4W/60HZ, it is safer.

Use buck/boost xfmr's for the 240V equipment.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

You mean there is still some place that will provide wild leg delta?

By all means, 208Y/120/3PH/4W/60HZ, it is safer.

Use buck/boost xfmr's for the 240V equipment.

One of my subcontractors showed up with a strange looking rig/motor in the
back of his truck the other day that he uses to run/test 3 phase motors from
three wire, single phase locations, like my shop and his.

Basically it involved the use of an old throw away motor.

It's probably a pretty common practice for guys like you, but was the first
time I'd seen the method/trick ... pretty slick!

(I'm easily impressed these days ... the older I get the less I seem to
know!)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 6/1/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

(I'm easily impressed these days ... the older I get the less I seem to
know!)

You probably know more than you think, but if you are like me, just
don't give a hoot anymore.

As the old German used to say, "The further I go, the behinder I get".

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:

You mean there is still some place that will provide wild leg delta?

Sure. My yacht club has a wild leg feed from Con Ed. The (3-phase 10 HP?)
motor that drives our marine railway runs off it (as far as I know, it's
the only 3-phase load in the whole place). The first time I put a volt
meter on it, I was scratching my head.

No clue when the service was installed. My guess is it's got to date back
to the 30's. Some of wiring is pretty scary.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Roy Smith wrote:

Sure. My yacht club has a wild leg feed from Con Ed. The (3-phase

10 HP?)
motor that drives our marine railway runs off it (as far as I know, it's
the only 3-phase load in the whole place). The first time I put a volt
meter on it, I was scratching my head.

No clue when the service was installed. My guess is it's got to date

back
to the 30's. Some of wiring is pretty scary.

An existing installation from way back when I can understand, but was
aware that new installations would even be offered.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking
hex hex is offline

On Jul 14, 6:19 pm, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Roy Smith wrote:

Sure. My yacht club has a wild leg feed from Con Ed. The (3-phase

10 HP?)
motor that drives our marine railway runs off it (as far as I know, it's
the only 3-phase load in the whole place). The first time I put a volt
meter on it, I was scratching my head.

No clue when the service was installed. My guess is it's got to date

back
to the 30's. Some of wiring is pretty scary.

An existing installation from way back when I can understand, but was
aware that new installations would even be offered.

Lew

I wasn't aware that you could get the delta either until the lady at
the office read down her list of available voltages. The field guy
from the power company was out yesterday so we could hash out actual
costs etc and confirmed either delta or wye is possible for them,
though 208Y would be slightly preferable.

So now I have to figure out how much of a cheapskate I am. 3phase
overhead is only a little more expensive than single phase underground
(and the power co's rule is that single phase has to go underground
since it's classed as residential service and the goal is to cut down
on tree trimming costs at residences) 3phase underground w/ ground
mounted transformer get's me for a $450 more. SWMBO thinks that
poles are ugly. I don't particularly care for poles, but on the other
hand, the pole provides a place to put the night light and the "watch
out for the transformer" issue when plowing snow goes away.

Thoughts?

hex
-30-

Posted to rec.woodworking

hex wrote:

I wasn't aware that you could get the delta either until the lady at
the office read down her list of available voltages. The field guy
from the power company was out yesterday so we could hash out actual
costs etc and confirmed either delta or wye is possible for them,
though 208Y would be slightly preferable.

IMHO, it should be a LOT more preferable.

So now I have to figure out how much of a cheapskate I am. 3phase
overhead is only a little more expensive than single phase underground
(and the power co's rule is that single phase has to go underground
since it's classed as residential service and the goal is to cut down
on tree trimming costs at residences) 3phase underground w/ ground
mounted transformer get's me for a $450 more. SWMBO thinks that
poles are ugly. I don't particularly care for poles, but on the other
hand, the pole provides a place to put the night light and the "watch
out for the transformer" issue when plowing snow goes away.

Thoughts?

Whether you go overhead or underground is a personal issue.

208Y/120 is much safer than 240 Delta, especially when you throw in
the wild leg connection to get 120 service.

Sounds like you live in an area where security lighting might be an issue.

Better to have a light mounted on a utility pole than the house IMHO,
but then again, that is a personal issue.

208Y/120 anyway you can get it.

Underground has a lot to offer, especially when it is time to sell.

You might be able to negotiate with the utility, but I doubt it.

After all, whether overhead or underground, there are costs involved.

Have fun.

Lew