Posted to rec.woodworking

Default De-Por-ta and thining product lines?

Hi folks

Long-time lurker. I've been monitoring the newsgroup for a long while
and found much valuable advice. One thing I hav been noticing lately is
the seeming dearth of Delta products in Canada...it's almost as if
they've dried up and gone away. I understand that Porter-Cable and
Delta are now owned by the same parent as Dewat (hence De-Por-ta), so
maybe there's still some consolidation going on.

Beyond that though, as the owner of a Delta MS250 (looking to upgrade
only because the fence is too low for the larger crown moulding work),
as I drift through PC and Delta websites I've noticed (as an example)
that the Delta chopsaws that once numbered 9 just 2 years ago now just
numbers one.

Is this really just the product lines consolidating between the three,
or is there some other type of move a-foot?

Thanks
Posted to rec.woodworking

Actually PC, Delta and some other previously fine separate companies have
been purchased by a "Investment Group" WMH Tool Group. As with any
"investment" the only concern is return. What you are seeing is the result
of a company that is run by accountants. They are paid to maximize the
return on investment ( otherwise they would not be accountants) While they
are still "forced" to have a product to sell, it does not mean it is the
best designed, most durable or has the high reliability , just that it
provides a good return on investment. As soon as a company is run by the
"share holders" it is no longer a company driven by passion but by dollars.
Chin up, because they are driven to keep prices lower you can replace them
more often....

Paul

"Not Spam" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Not Spam" wrote in message

Hi folks

Long-time lurker. I've been monitoring the newsgroup for a long while and
found much valuable advice. One thing I hav been noticing lately is the
seeming dearth of Delta products in Canada...it's almost as if they've
dried up and gone away. I understand that Porter-Cable and Delta are now
owned by the same parent as Dewat (hence De-Por-ta), so maybe there's
still some consolidation going on.

Beyond that though, as the owner of a Delta MS250 (looking to upgrade only
because the fence is too low for the larger crown moulding work), as I
drift through PC and Delta websites I've noticed (as an example) that the
Delta chopsaws that once numbered 9 just 2 years ago now just numbers one.

Is this really just the product lines consolidating between the three, or
is there some other type of move a-foot?

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Actually, WMH bought Powermatic...and Wilton, Performax and...

IIRC, the Delta/PC/DeVilbiss combo was bought by Black & Decker, but
my memory might be faulty.

Posted to rec.woodworking

WMH owns Powermatic, Jet, Wilton, Performax, Waxmaster, Columbian and
Polishmaster.

And from Black and Deckers website:

2004 - Black & Decker ® announce the purchase of the Tools Group from
Pentair, Inc. (NYSE: PNR) for approximately $775 million in cash. The Tools
Group, which includes the Porter-Cable, Delta, DeVilbiss Air Power, Oldham
Saw, and FLEX businesses, had sales of $1.08 billion and operating profit of
$82 million in 2003.

Yes I agree that the end users like us will suffer as some products
disappear out of their offering as well as good products being mass produced
in China so that the quality suffers.

Allen