Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Aetco or Craftsman Lathe Chisel?

I need a 1/2 inch spindle chisel for my lathe,
and I have choice between an Aetco or a Sears
Craftsman (for 10 bucks). Which would you choose?

Thanks,

S.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
samson wrote:

I need a 1/2 inch spindle chisel for my lathe,
and I have choice between an Aetco or a Sears
Craftsman (for 10 bucks). Which would you choose?

Thanks,

S.

New Craptsman, er ah Craftsman are HSS, I have no idea if the Aetco is,
but I will bet it's not. Always take HSS over High Carbon. Another
choice is the red handled set from a Harbor Freight store (not available
on-line)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 15:46:42 -0500, samson wrote:

I need a 1/2 inch spindle chisel for my lathe,
and I have choice between an Aetco or a Sears
Craftsman (for 10 bucks). Which would you choose?

Thanks,

S.

A stick with a sharp rock on the end...

I bought a very simple, and very thin, (shudder) spindle gouge at Sears a few
years ago and it worked, I guess....
No idea who/what Aetco is...

Bottom line is that you get what you pay for.... as in any tool, cheap can
translate into dangerous quickly, so be very careful with whichever one you
choose, being especially careful not to extend the chisel over the tool rest any
more than possible..

You are, I hope, wearing eye/face protection?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 15:46:42 -0500, samson wrote:

I need a 1/2 inch spindle chisel for my lathe,
and I have choice between an Aetco or a Sears
Craftsman (for 10 bucks). Which would you choose?

Thanks,

S.

A stick with a sharp rock on the end...

I bought a very simple, and very thin, (shudder) spindle gouge at Sears a
few
years ago and it worked, I guess....
No idea who/what Aetco is...

Bottom line is that you get what you pay for.... as in any tool, cheap can
translate into dangerous quickly, so be very careful with whichever one
you
choose, being especially careful not to extend the chisel over the tool
rest any
more than possible..

You are, I hope, wearing eye/face protection?

If you truly mean a chisel for planing and paring I'd suggest High Speed
(higher temperature) Steel over carbon, which would be my choice for finish
work. Other than that, price and handle, though even that's modifiable.

It's not a prying tool, so section isn't all that important. A close tool
rest and good anchor of the tool to the rest is.

If a gouge is what you mean, I'd choose the one with the most consistent
section from flute to back. Makes your cuts easier. Bucks were (?are?)
good steel, and if you want to see some of the C-man types in action, tune
into Roy Underhill. They work fine too.