Old October 6th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default CHISEL HOLDER - For Wood Lathe

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/p...lder/index.htm

This is geared to a Shopsmith, but easily enough adaptable to other
types. Something similar would work well enough on mine, and it only
resembles the Shopsmith in the fact that it's a lathe.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Old October 7th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 17:07:19 -0400, (J T) wrote:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/p...lder/index.htm

This is geared to a Shopsmith, but easily enough adaptable to other
types. Something similar would work well enough on mine, and it only
resembles the Shopsmith in the fact that it's a lathe.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Joat... i built a couple of them years ago and the main problem with them is
that they get covered with shavings...
I built one that went on the top rails but it got in the way.. *g*

I've played with a lot of things that didn't work, but something that I use a
lot is pretty much like the shopsmith one, but mounted at about a 45 degree
angle on an old stand for a roller support...
Nice to have near the lathe when you're turning and in a corner somewhere when
you're not...

BTW: will that hold your rasps and planes for turning big stuff? *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Old October 7th 06, 10:28 PM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 08:50:13 -0700, mac davis
wrote:

[...]

Hey Mac, ever consider a rolling cart? I've got a little wire one
that works like a charm. Points go down between the wires, chips fall
right through, and you can stick other stuff on it as well. Works so
well, I never did get around to building one.

Old October 7th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sat, Oct 7, 2006, 8:50am (EDT-3) (mac*davis) thusly
doeth posteh:
Joat... i built a couple of them years ago and the main problem with
them is that they get covered with shavings...
I built one that went on the top rails but it got in the way.. *g*
snip
BTW: will that hold your rasps and planes for turning big stuff? *g*

Most of the stuff in my shop is covered with a patina of sawdust
anyway, but it "is" kinda nice to be able to find the tool you want
quickly. I think something along the same lines, but on the front leg
of my lathe stand would work best. Could just spot which toolI wanted
and grab the handle and viola.

Nah. I'll just leave the rasp in it's usual place. Doesn't work
that well on the lathe any way. Ah yes, the power plane. Definitely a
precision lathe tool. Just now I'm musing on some type of "frame" to
hold it, to allow precise planing. If I were just wanting it for
carving mallets woulen't be a biggie, just make one end short, for the
handle, and the other taller, for the head of the mallets. However, I'd
prefer some type of adjustment, for planing different thicknesses, and
haven't figured out a method I'm satisfied with - yet.. Once I get it
all figured out, I'll make you gus a real good price on plans.

Old October 9th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 16:28:51 -0500, Prometheus wrote:

Hey Mac, ever consider a rolling cart? I've got a little wire one
that works like a charm. Points go down between the wires, chips fall
right through, and you can stick other stuff on it as well. Works so
well, I never did get around to building one.

Actually, I've tried 2, not rolling, though...
One was the silverware tray from an old dishwasher, the other the "kids seat"
from a trashed shopping cart... both worked ok, but I didn't like the idea of
bumping a freshly sharpened chisel against the wire if I missed the opening in
the wire a bit...

I'm sort of copying one that was in an AAW magazine last year for the new shop..
using short lengths of 1/2" and 1" pvc pipe...

Old October 21st 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.woodworking

I have the HF 1236 (equiv) and I made a rack that fits on the front legs
and will hold (IIRC) 15 tools 'handle up'. I accounted for the shavings
fallout by making each tool holder a slot with just a crossar to keep them
from falling out. I can run the shop vac over the whole to clear the
shavings when they get built up without even removing the tools.

BIll