Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default BLO & Cherry

I have just finished construction on my first real piece of "fine" furniture.
It is a small chest of drawers made of solid cherry.

Now begins the part of woodworking that I really do not enjoy: finishing.

My choices a
Shellac: This is what I have the most experience with and do not find to be
extremely problematic.

Lacquer: I have done a little work with this medium and would apply several
coats over two coats of Sealcoat.

Polyurethane: I have done a lot with Poly (brushed) and have had mixed results
.. It is my least favorite finish to work with.

BLO: I have used boiled linseed oil on a couple of projects, but never on
something that would end up I the living room. Actually, I have never used it
on finely sanded wood. I know that the medium is rubbed on and that a number of
coats are require for a decent build up.
But when all is said and done, what kind of finfish does BLO provide?
What is the proper prep for BLO?
Does it buff out to a nice sheen?
How long does it take for the smell to go away?
How durable is it?

Of course, I could always paint it pink.

Thanks for any serious advice.
Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Cherry baseboard Jim Bailey Woodworking 11 December 24th 05 05:08 PM
3/4 in. Brazillian Cherry JTurner Woodworking 4 December 5th 05 07:11 AM
Ageing Cherry Joe Woodworking 10 November 23rd 05 01:23 PM
Darkening Cherry Bill Waller Woodworking 2 May 23rd 05 04:40 AM
Cherry or cherrywood [email protected] Woodworking 1 November 17th 04 10:04 PM