Posted to rec.woodworking
Toller Toller is offline

Default BLO & Cherry

BLO: I have used boiled linseed oil on a couple of projects, but never on
something that would end up I the living room. Actually, I have never used
it
on finely sanded wood. I know that the medium is rubbed on and that a
number of
coats are require for a decent build up.
But when all is said and done, what kind of finfish does BLO provide?
What is the proper prep for BLO?
Does it buff out to a nice sheen?
How long does it take for the smell to go away?
How durable is it?

I like BLO on cherry. It doesn't build up; it is not a film finish.
I know people talk about putting 5 or 6 application on, but that defeats the
purpose of BLO.
Once it can't soak in anymore, you are done; one or two coats.
The odor is pretty much gone once it is dry. (unless you put 5 or 6 coats
on...)

It does very little for durability. On tabletops I will put several coats
of wipeon varnish over it.