Posted to rec.woodworking
Scott Lurndal Scott Lurndal is offline

Default BLO & Cherry

Bill Waller writes:
I have just finished construction on my first real piece of "fine" furniture.
It is a small chest of drawers made of solid cherry.

Now begins the part of woodworking that I really do not enjoy: finishing.

My choices a
Shellac: This is what I have the most experience with and do not find to be
extremely problematic.

Lacquer: I have done a little work with this medium and would apply several
coats over two coats of Sealcoat.

Polyurethane: I have done a lot with Poly (brushed) and have had mixed results
. It is my least favorite finish to work with.

BLO: I have used boiled linseed oil on a couple of projects, but never on
something that would end up I the living room. Actually, I have never used it
on finely sanded wood. I know that the medium is rubbed on and that a number of
coats are require for a decent build up.
But when all is said and done, what kind of finfish does BLO provide?
What is the proper prep for BLO?
Does it buff out to a nice sheen?
How long does it take for the smell to go away?
How durable is it?

I use a mix of 33% Tung, 33% spar varnish and 34% turps on cherry
with good results. Wipe on.

scott