Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Follow up to Purpleheart Surprise

This is a follow-up to my post of a few weeks ago about a 12" by 66" by 1"
piece of Purpleheart I got from my hardwood supplier. I really can't
bring myself to cut that lovely board. Russ gave me an idea when he
suggested a sofa table. This lovely board will be the top for a narrow
hall table. I'm starting to look for design ideas on the web. Possibly
shaker, maybe craftsman, maybe some type of oriental design. I've seen
some tables in the past that look like they are just floating in mid-air
and the legs seem hidden or understated.

This is one of those projects I really like. Lots of time to get the
design right, some quality time in the shop, and finally a minimum of
finishing to do since I want the wood to show with no stains etc.

D. G. Adams
Posted to rec.woodworking

dgadams wrote:

This lovely board will be the top for a narrow
hall table. I'm starting to look for design ideas on the web.

Try the library table on NYW.

I'm satisfied.

YMMV

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 16, 11:11 pm, dgadams wrote:
This is a follow-up to my post of a few weeks ago about a 12" by 66" by 1"
piece of Purpleheart I got from my hardwood supplier. I really can't
bring myself to cut that lovely board. Russ gave me an idea when he
suggested a sofa table. This lovely board will be the top for a narrow
hall table. I'm starting to look for design ideas on the web. Possibly
shaker, maybe craftsman, maybe some type of oriental design. I've seen
some tables in the past that look like they are just floating in mid-air
and the legs seem hidden or understated.

This is one of those projects I really like. Lots of time to get the
design right, some quality time in the shop, and finally a minimum of
finishing to do since I want the wood to show with no stains etc.

You might want to DAG for "console table". Some people call almost
anything a console table, but that's what you're describing.

Do you want a freestanding piece, or would a wall hung one work for
you? Can't get much more floating than that without rare earth
magnets or helium-filled drawers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 06:12:54 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

[...]

Thanks, found the console table links before I saw your post. Won't do a
wall hung unit. It will be free standing. I've seen several shaker
designs that I really like may go with that. Now to find time away from
work and family to get r done.

D. G. Adams

Purpleheart surprise dgadams Woodworking 5 June 1st 07 01:02 PM
October surprise aspasia Home Repair 7 October 24th 06 02:37 PM
Surprise. Very, very rare konan_909 Home Repair 0 October 1st 06 11:26 AM
Purpleheart again P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 3 March 11th 06 05:06 AM
purpleheart Jeff Woodturning 29 June 21st 05 05:42 PM