Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Purpleheart surprise

So, I ordered 20 board feet of purpleheart expecting to get the usual 3 to
6 inch widths. Got some of that, but also got one board 12 inches wide
and 66 inches long. What a surprise. Now I just need to figure out what
to do with it. Clearly something decorative. I was going to build some
boxes thought purpleheart and maple would look good together.

dgadams
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 30, 7:23 pm, dgadams wrote:
So, I ordered 20 board feet of purpleheart expecting to get the usual 3 to
6 inch widths. Got some of that, but also got one board 12 inches wide
and 66 inches long. What a surprise. Now I just need to figure out what
to do with it. Clearly something decorative. I was going to build some
boxes thought purpleheart and maple would look good together.

dgadams

What a great buy! Whatever you do- don't cut that board up to make
smaller projects. The gods of woodworking would smite you mightily if
you did.
Maple and purpleheart are great together. I'm preparing to chose wood
for a lap harp today and I'm looking forward to seeing what I have in
my lumber stack. I haven't been in there much the past few years- so
it will be a surprise. I'm hoping there may be a nice piece of birds-
eye maple and I'll laminate that with some purpleheart, or padauk.
Not that I need any more wood- since I have accumulated enough to last
me two lifetimes, but I have to ask- from where did you get your wood?
Donna Menke, author, The Ultimate Band Saw Box Book

Posted to rec.woodworking

dgadams wrote:
So, I ordered 20 board feet of purpleheart expecting to get the usual 3 to
6 inch widths. Got some of that, but also got one board 12 inches wide
and 66 inches long. What a surprise. Now I just need to figure out what
to do with it. Clearly something decorative. I was going to build some
boxes thought purpleheart and maple would look good together.

dgadams

Put the rip blade on the tablesaw and rip it into the usual 3 to 6 inch
widths. Then you'll know what to do with those!
Mmmm... No.

Maybe a purple sofa table?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 30, 8:23 pm, dgadams wrote:
So, I ordered 20 board feet of purpleheart expecting to get the usual 3 to
6 inch widths. Got some of that, but also got one board 12 inches wide
and 66 inches long. What a surprise. Now I just need to figure out what
to do with it. Clearly something decorative. I was going to build some
boxes thought purpleheart and maple would look good together.

dgadams

Personally, I don't like combination of purpleheart and maple. Beside
the lighter wood, purpleheart looks like Oscar Meyer bologna or
something.

Jeff

October surprise aspasia Home Repair 7 October 24th 06 02:37 PM
Surprise. Very, very rare konan_909 Home Repair 0 October 1st 06 11:26 AM
Purpleheart again P van Rijckevorsel Woodworking 3 March 11th 06 05:06 AM
Turning Purpleheart? steamer Woodturning 4 February 14th 06 05:27 PM
purpleheart Jeff Woodturning 29 June 21st 05 05:42 PM