Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Airless spayer for acrylic

Are those about the only sprayers to use to spray acrylic paints? Im
painting some cabinets and this paint is too viscous to work with my HVLP
gun. I want a better finish then what I can do with a brush and its a lot
faster.
thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jun 12, 12:57 am, "trs80" wrote:
Are those about the only sprayers to use to spray acrylic paints? Im
painting some cabinets and this paint is too viscous to work with my HVLP
gun. I want a better finish then what I can do with a brush and its a lot
faster.
thanks

If you are meaning that the paint is to thick, you should try thinning
it. If you have the opportunity to change aircaps on your HVLP, you
should be using about a 2mm cap, not the stock which is usually
somewhere between 1.4 and 1.8 on factory equipped gun.

I have sprayed acrylic very well through my HVLP system with the paint
thinned just a little.

One not of caution; unlike many other finishes, the particulates in
acrylics must stay in suspension. If you over thin, you can ruin the
factory recipe and affect the wear/abrasion resistance of your
finish. Worse, over thinning can lead to a different color than you
want. A call to the tech line on the can will get you some guidance
on that.

That's one I learned the hard way.

On the other hand, that nift little Graco dx is only about $300, and
for that price it is a steal. It does some nice work without any
thinning of the paints. If you think you might paint the house, shop,
garage or anything else of size this is a great machine.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think i have 1.4mm tip on the gun. I dont believe I can purchase a
larger tip for it. but I havnt tried thinning the paint. It is an acrylic
gloss (Olympic). Nothing on the olympic site but Ill experiment with some
thinning and see out it does. thanks

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 12, 12:57 am, "trs80" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"trs80" wrote in
:

Are those about the only sprayers to use to spray acrylic paints? Im
painting some cabinets and this paint is too viscous to work with my
HVLP gun. I want a better finish then what I can do with a brush and
its a lot faster.
thanks

Have you considered using a paint conditioner such as Floetrol?

http://www.flood.com/flood/Products/...aintAdditives/

http://www.flood.com/flood/CustomerS...oetrol+FAQ.htm

Kitchen sink spayer Jim Home Repair 10 September 15th 06 04:18 PM
Airless HVLP sprayers sumdume Woodworking 7 September 4th 06 10:59 PM
campbellhausfeld airless sprayers??? [email protected] Home Repair 5 August 29th 06 05:28 AM
Airless Sprayers for Woodworking Lloyd Kurth Woodworking 14 December 18th 03 04:49 PM
Airless Sprayer Recommendations Jeff Cochran Home Repair 5 November 3rd 03 12:19 PM