Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Airless HVLP sprayers

What are the pros and cons of airless High Volume Low Pressure
sprayers?

I have to apply paint to 2 houses in the next few months. I would like
to get a good sprayer that can also be used for wood working.

Are there any sprayers that stand out as good values or definite stay
away from model?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

"sumdume" wrote:

What are the pros and cons of airless High Volume Low Pressure
sprayers?

I have to apply paint to 2 houses in the next few months. I would like
to get a good sprayer that can also be used for wood working.

Are there any sprayers that stand out as good values or definite stay
away from model?

I'm a newbie in the spraying area as well, but I think you are talking
about two different things. One is an airless sprayer, which is more
of a house painting tool. They range from ~$100 Wagner power painters
Where the pump, paint container and spray head are built into a single
unit to units with a separate pump sending pressurized paint through a
hose to the gun.

An HVLP is NOT airless, but has either a high-volume low-pressure
source of air (think of the exhaust from a vacuum motor, or in a
conversion gun, converts the higher pressure air from a compressor to
the lower pressure/higher volume used for this type of spraying. HVLP
is better for typical wood-working finishes, not for latex paint.
Posted to rec.woodworking
cm cm is offline

HVLP and airless are two different spray systems. An airless system is great
for painting houses, but not adjustable enough for wood finishes. An HVLP is
great for wood finishes but not enough output to efficiently paint a house.

cm

"sumdume" wrote in message
ups.com...
What are the pros and cons of airless High Volume Low Pressure
sprayers?

I have to apply paint to 2 houses in the next few months. I would like
to get a good sprayer that can also be used for wood working.

Are there any sprayers that stand out as good values or definite stay
away from model?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

If you are going to paint houses, you will need to go with an airless high
pressure system. Unfortunately, these don't work too well for woodworking
especially in a closed space like a shop, way too much over spray and pump a
lot of paint through them. HVLP's are great for woodworkers as there is
little overspray involved and are great for many finishes except latex which
is too thick for most applications unless thinned..

"sumdume" wrote in message
ups.com...
What are the pros and cons of airless High Volume Low Pressure
sprayers?

I have to apply paint to 2 houses in the next few months. I would like
to get a good sprayer that can also be used for wood working.

Are there any sprayers that stand out as good values or definite stay
away from model?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

sumdume wrote:
:: What are the pros and cons of airless High Volume Low Pressure
:: sprayers?
::
:: I have to apply paint to 2 houses in the next few months. I would
:: like to get a good sprayer that can also be used for wood working.
::
:: Are there any sprayers that stand out as good values or definite stay
:: away from model?
::
:: Thanks

This the kind of thing you mean ?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a... ile=1&jump=4

Chris.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mrbingley" wrote:

This the kind of thing you mean ?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a... ile=1&jump=4

Chris.

Looks like the same unit sold in the US by Harbor freight, Rockler,
and Woodcraft: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5853

Interesting pricing strategy--looks like it is 99, independent of the
unit of currency. Maybe we need to find a Canadian supplier of this
unitg
Posted to rec.woodworking
cm cm is offline

Any of the Graco airless sprayers will spray the two houses you need to
paint and will last way beyond that. I have painted 20+ houses with the
$300.00 Graco from Home Depot. You will want another 50' of hose which runs
about $1.00 per foot.

As for HVLP's you can buy a low end from Rockler or Wagner in the $100.00
range. If you want a real good starter unit go he
http://www.lemmer.com/t55-hvlp-turbine.htm This is a GREAT starter unit at a
good price.

Have fun,

cm

"sumdume" wrote in message
ups.com...
What are the pros and cons of airless High Volume Low Pressure
sprayers?

I have to apply paint to 2 houses in the next few months. I would like
to get a good sprayer that can also be used for wood working.

Are there any sprayers that stand out as good values or definite stay
away from model?

Thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

I've painted quite a bit with an airless. The best cost-value I have
ever seen was when I purchased a used Wagner sprayer, threw away the
gun and purchased a Graco gun. The wagner is just a pump, all the
work is done by the gun-so buy the best. Carefully study the nozzle
types of any brand and match the orfice to the type of paint. Always
use a cone filter or a bag filter on the paint just before spraying.
They are cheap, work well, take up just a minutes and collect the
darnest crap and can be cleaned and reused. Leave the filter on the end
of the suction pipe of the wagner, and always clean out the gun filter.
(it's located in the barrel of the handle). Practice on a flat wall and
be very careful spraying in a corner where the paint load builds up
VERY quickly. One last comment- Allow the first coat to dry overnight
at least, before recoating. Using latex, the paint forms a skin which
appears dry but a quick second coat dissolved that skin and then the
whold lot runs.
Lowes and if you're desperate, Homo Depo, usually have used sprayers on
hand although you may have to ask at the desk.
Jim

Spray Finishing - HVLP v. Airless v. Air-assist Jay Pique Woodworking 9 May 28th 06 12:36 AM
HVLP sprayers. Max Woodworking 26 April 4th 06 09:36 PM
low cfm HVLP sprayers? Nick Zentena Woodworking 10 March 23rd 06 01:29 AM
Airless sprayers Graco stx, Ultra 395 or Airlessco LP460 ken Home Repair 0 October 21st 04 06:38 AM
Airless Sprayers for Woodworking Lloyd Kurth Woodworking 14 December 18th 03 04:49 PM