Lloyd Kurth

Default Airless Sprayers for Woodworking

I am a home woodworker looking to get into spray finishing. I've done some
spray finishing in the past, but it has been about 20 years ago, long before
HVLP and the latest advancements. I do about 4-6 woodworking projects per
year. Most have been small, but I'm starting to get into larger projects. I
am moving to a new house soon and it will have much more space.

I have used brushed-on polyurethane finishes almost exclusively in the past
10 years or so. But as my projects get larger, brushing has been a serious
time investment. My current project is cabinets and shelves for the library
in the new house. It would take me weeks to finish these with a brush! So
I'm looking to go to spray finishing.

I have a 5HP, 25-gallon Craftsman compressor. This is large enough to run
some of the low-air-requirement HVLP spray guns. I've been looking at the
DeVilbiss GFG670 and the Sata RP. I can get either of these for about $270
or $350, respectively, at spraygunworld.com. Frankly, I'm leaning toward the
670 because of cost. I plan to use exclusively waterborne finishes with the
sprayer. This is just for practical reasons. Putting up a spray room for
oil-based finishes that meets local building codes seems like overkill for
what I will be doing.

I know someone who sells Graco airless sprayers and believes I should just
go with an airless sprayer. Specifcally, he can get me a Graco Magnum DX for
under $200, which is less that a good gun for my compressor will cost. The
appeal of this solution is that it can be used for other larger jobs, such
as painting a house or rooms in a house. But I don't want to compromise my
ability to do quality finishing of my wood projects. I am somewhat skeptical
of using an airless sprayer for cabinets and furniture.

Can any of you seasoned veterans give me advice on this decision? Does
airless make sense for spraying waterborne clear coats? Is a low-end airless
sprayer like the Magnum DX a viable option? Or if I went airless, would I
need to invest in a higher-end sprayer? I've read a couple places that the
higher-end airless sprayers are far superior for clear coats. But, of
course, they are very pricey.

Your advice on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Bay Area Dave

HVLP will give a finer finish than an airless. Airless is great for
painting larger areas. Great for whole-house painting. Furniture and
cabinets benefit from the better atomization of HVLP and of course MUCH
less overspray saves on pricey finishes.

I also have a 5HP, 30gal Sears unit but didn't want to be tied to the
compressor and deal with moisture and marginal CFM, so I went with an
HVLP recently. One of my best expenditures for my WW shop! I ended up
with an Accuspray, but there are plenty of other good units out there.
I got it because it's a non-bleeder and very comfortable in my hand.
The price however, is STEEP!

dave

Lloyd Kurth wrote:

[...]

Bay Area Dave

Compliant Spray Systems, over the internet. They are in SoCal. I got
mine from them after ordering it at the San Mateo WW show where they
demoed it. I got the 4 stage unit so I can spray all the way up to
latex if I want. Model 240K. I kept trying to find a cheaper
alternative, and finally decided to quit bucking city hall, and handed
over the Visa card. I've sprayed airless and high pressure guns before,
but never HVLP. I had practically no learning curve at all to get a
desk finished in near-flawless fashion with water based urethane and oil
based poly. I also shot shellac on the drawers, and tried out lacquer
just for grins on some scrap. Everything sprayed with no fuss. Same
tip for everything mentioned - .043. I bought a .061 for latex but
haven't tried it yet.

dave

Lloyd Kurth wrote:

[...]

Lloyd Kurth

Thanks, Dave. That pretty much confirms my suspicions. I think to get a
decent turbine system you have to spend at least $500 (or over a grand,
like you did). That's a sizable investment for me. I think I'd rather
ease into it and give the compressor/gun option a try. I have some
glowing reports on the DeVilbiss and Sata guns I mentioned. My projects
are still small enough that filling the can and all should not should
not be too big an issue. If I become a pro at this, maybe I'll make the
next step up.

Lloyd

Lloyd Kurth wrote:

[...]

Scott Geyer

I am also looking into something for home use as I am getting ready to
finish a large entertainment center. Currently, I have nothing better than
a Wagner airless...

Has anyone had any experience with the Rockler offering?
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/showdet...475 &catid=53

How can this be so inexpensive? $89 for HVLP seems too good to be true

AL

Airless is great for latex paint but that's about all. If you're looking to
save money, have a look at the Devilbiss Finishline III or II at
spraygunworld.com. They're just over $100 and can be run from a compressor
like yours.

"Lloyd Kurth" wrote in message
[...]

LP

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 04:55:09 GMT, "Scott Geyer"
snip

Has anyone had any experience with the Rockler offering?
http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/showdet...475 &catid=53

A friend bought one of these and I had a chance to try it. It sprays
surprisingly well for the $$.

How can this be so inexpensive? $89 for HVLP seems too good to be true

Once you see one you'll understand. Very cheaply made, almost 100%
plastic, very lightweight.

The downsides:
Short hose: fifteen feet sounds like a lot until you start using it
on a bookcase or something in that size range, and have to move around
a lot.

The hose goes in at the back of the gun instead of up at the bottom of
the handle: For me this was a major aggravation, as the hose was
always draped over my forearm and off on one side or the other, and
this puts a real limit on your flexibility and freedom of movement.

Short life: Because of the cheap construction this one wont last very
long. Ok for occasional use.

A nice touch: Built-in cup holder, a place to set the spray gun in
between coats, etc. No worries about it tipping and much handier than
clamping a long stick in the vise and hanging the spray gun on that.
(my normal method)

Home Depot has (used to have, I dont know about now) two offerings in
the $139 to $250 price range. Either of those would be a better
choice than the Rockler unit.

Next step up would be the Fuji unit offered by Woodcraft, or something
similar. About $600, but is a true HVLP system and works great.

And of course the aforementioned Accuspray system is up there near the
top in quality, performance and price. (+/- $1000)

Be aware that the hose for a turbine powered HVLP system is large,
looks more like ribbed 3/4 garden hose than it does air line. This
can be awkward to get used to but after a while you wont notice it.

David Hall

Bay Area Dave wrote in message .com...
ANYTHING else is better than a Wagner. (I've got one, too. It's up in
the attic, IIRC...)

dave

I have bought or been given some crappy tools in my life and being a
cheap ******* have a hard time just throwing them away. So I have
variuos worthless crap in the shop or the attic. I threw my Wagner in
the trash - it was worse than worthless.

Dave Hall

lopez

I use a Sharpe-Cobalt-HVLP gun with my 3 HP 20 gal compressor.

http://www.sharpe1.com/gun-page.htm

The spec calls for a lot more air than I can deliver. but it's a non bleeder
unit and I don't hold the trigger to spray constantly. You spray a bit, and
then move around or move the piece you are finishing. I can think of only a
couple of times where I needed to stop and wait for the compressor to catch up.
I got the gun on sale for about $130 a few years ago.

Len