Posted to rec.woodworking

Default humidity and stair construction

Hi all,
I have contracted with a builder to construct some open riser stairs
from ash in my home here in Maine. He keeps delaying construction and
I am worried that further delay into the humid summer will result in
squeeking stairs when the air dries out in winter. Are my concerns
justified?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 29 May 2007 15:28:15 -0700, Nick wrote:

I have contracted with a builder to construct some open riser stairs
from ash in my home here in Maine. He keeps delaying construction and
I am worried that further delay into the humid summer will result in
squeeking stairs when the air dries out in winter. Are my concerns
justified?

IMO sorta...
I think you will have movement no matter the season you build the
stairs. If you build in the winter with dry heat the material will
still swell in the humid summer. I think it's one of those "six of
one... half a dozen of the other" situations.
Another thing I might mention since you said you were going to have
open risers...... be sure, if you have local codes, that your
inspector will buy open risers. The IRC (International Residential
Code), used by many municipalities for guidelines on stairway
construction, does not support open riser construction on interior
stair systems. There is an exception if you add a piece (across where
the normal riser would be) to split the open area normally covered by
the riser. You may also be able to get a variance from your local
authority if you have one.

Mike O.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nick,
Never found a set of stairs that over time did not squeak. To slow
the process wrap the top of the stringers with a single layer of felt tar
paper. May smell for a short while, but reduces the rubbing of wood against
wood. The back side of the run may still run against the stringer if not
treated as well.

Paul

"Nick" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,
I have contracted with a builder to construct some open riser stairs
from ash in my home here in Maine. He keeps delaying construction and
I am worried that further delay into the humid summer will result in
squeeking stairs when the air dries out in winter. Are my concerns
justified?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Questions on exterior stair construction Wayne Whitney Home Repair 3 April 21st 07 03:22 AM
humidity. [email protected] Home Repair 17 January 31st 06 05:12 PM
Humidity! Eric Ryder Woodworking 10 August 4th 04 03:09 PM
source of humidity j j Home Repair 2 December 10th 03 03:56 PM
Storing wood - inside humidity vs. outside humidity. Brian Phillips Woodworking 2 July 22nd 03 02:20 PM