Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Timber merchants Manchester UK

I'm looking for a source of beech (or something similar, to make a
workbench from) in the Manchester area (I suppose I'd travel as far as
Chester, Stoke, Preston, Leeds ...). Googling has turned up nothing;
any suggestions?

--

Henry Law Manchester, England
Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, If manchester is nearChicago, I can point you in the right direction
:-)

Wait, I thought Europe was the home range for Beech?

"Henry Law" wrote in message
I'm looking for a source of beech (or something similar, to make a
workbench from) in the Manchester area (I suppose I'd travel as far as
Chester, Stoke, Preston, Leeds ...). Googling has turned up nothing; any
suggestions?

--

Henry Law Manchester, England

Posted to rec.woodworking

Henry, From what I can remember lumber prices in the UK were sky high
perehaps it might be worth looking for barn teardowns and the like .One
other source might be the local farmer they used to keep a copse or two for
wood needed around the farm for repairs etc.

from what I hear the south downs were heavily forrested with english oak and
beech most of it was cut in WW1 and never replanted must have been a sight
to see mjh

"Henry Law" wrote in message
I'm looking for a source of beech (or something similar, to make a
workbench from) in the Manchester area (I suppose I'd travel as far as
Chester, Stoke, Preston, Leeds ...). Googling has turned up nothing; any
suggestions?

--

Henry Law Manchester, England

Posted to rec.woodworking
Me Me is offline

Henry Law wrote:
I'm looking for a source of beech (or something similar, to make a
workbench from) in the Manchester area (I suppose I'd travel as far as
Chester, Stoke, Preston, Leeds ...). Googling has turned up nothing;
any suggestions?

ask scrit on ukworkshop.co.uk he knows all the t/merchants in manchester.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Me wrote:
Henry Law wrote:
I'm looking for a source of beech

ask scrit on ukworkshop.co.uk he knows all the t/merchants in manchester.

V useful site ... thank you for the pointer.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England

Posted to rec.woodworking

Neil Larson wrote:
Well, If manchester is nearChicago, I can point you in the right direction
:-)

Wait, I thought Europe was the home range for Beech?

Correct. So your point is what, exactly?

--

Henry Law Manchester, England
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Sat, May 26, 2007, 6:47pm (EDT+5) (Henry*Law) doth
query:
I'm looking for a source of beech (or something similar, to make a
workbench from) in the Manchester area (I suppose I'd travel as far as
Chester, Stoke, Preston, Leeds ...). Googling has turned up nothing; any
suggestions?

Interesting. Found this site on google, it may be of help.
http://www.ukuleleorchestra.com/main...=2&SessionKey=

Me, I'd probably collect a batch of palles, and use them; could
well be beech. First off, start with your local telephone directory.
Anyone you call, if they can't help, you ask if they know someone who
can, repeat as necessary. I'm reasonably sure you should have some sort
of D.I.Y. store somewhere nearby - you start there, then ask where you
could buy whatever wood you want Ask anyone you come across where you
can get the wood; surprising what you can find that way, sometimes even
for free. it's all basics.

JOAT
What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I ran into this site in the UK last winter while doing a search on why
UK prices were so HIGH!!

Some very informative PDF on British environmental requirements if you
wander around this site
http://www.lathamtimber.co.uk/LocationMap.68.html

I live in North America, never been to the UK. You are on your own, as I
have no knowledge if this company is good, bad, or natural. I only was very
impressed by the information they posted in the PDF files on plywood, and
other man-made wood products for sale. I can only presume this company will
carry the hardwoods you seek.

I have given out this like 3 or 4 times, and gotten no feed back on this
company. Please let me know if I should continue to post the link, or stop
posting the link for the sake of good international relations.

Phil

"Henry Law" wrote in message
I'm looking for a source of beech (or something similar, to make a
workbench from) in the Manchester area (I suppose I'd travel as far as
Chester, Stoke, Preston, Leeds ...). Googling has turned up nothing; any
suggestions?

--

Henry Law Manchester, England

Posted to rec.woodworking

Are you sure there were no spelling or typing errors in your quest for Timber Merchants in the Manchester area, on Gogle?

a simple query (Timber Merchants, Manchester) threw up over 541,000 potential entries, when I made an attempt to find information,

Here's the link Google created during my search:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourc...%2c+Manchester

Hope this is useful to you?

Builders/Timber Merchants and T'Internet .. Stuart UK diy 12 March 3rd 06 07:22 AM
timber merchants - chamfer in purlins. [email protected] UK diy 5 October 22nd 05 12:26 PM
Online Plumbers merchants Howdy UK diy 3 October 8th 05 10:17 AM
Timber Merchants ... Manchester Area Alex White UK diy 2 February 11th 05 11:01 AM
builders merchants v's sheds John UK diy 11 October 24th 03 11:34 PM