Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting off in the ground fence posts squarely

I have a need to cut from one to three inches off 4 inch machined round
softwood fence posts that are already in the ground. There are over 200 of
the things...I want the ends factory cut square and neat, any ideas on the
easiest way to do this? Hand sawing them will be very time consuming, but I
have power available that can reach all of them (petrol generator). I was
thinking of a big circular saw? Depth of cut is the issue with those
however. Thanks for any replies

--
Best Regards,
Chris in England UK
Posted to rec.woodworking

Chris Wilson wrote in
:

I have a need to cut from one to three inches off 4 inch machined
round softwood fence posts that are already in the ground. There are
over 200 of the things...I want the ends factory cut square and neat,
any ideas on the easiest way to do this? Hand sawing them will be very
time consuming, but I have power available that can reach all of them
(petrol generator). I was thinking of a big circular saw? Depth of cut
is the issue with those however. Thanks for any replies

I have no idea if this would work, but: maybe make a cutting jig using
something like 4inch PVC pipe to form a shoulder against which the edge of
your circular saw footplate would ride, then cut by dancing around the
pole. Or get one of those PVC flanges for 4 inch pipe, for a wider
shoulder (better stability). You could use a couple of clamps to hold the
jig in place. Even better, see if there are fixtures to put a flange in
the middle of a section of pipe (a disk with a tube through it), then on
the first cut the pipe will be cut so all you need to do is put the end of
the pipe on your cutting mark, clamp it, and just go zoop zoop.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
I have a need to cut from one to three inches off 4 inch machined round
softwood fence posts that are already in the ground. There are over 200 of
the things...I want the ends factory cut square and neat, any ideas on the
easiest way to do this? Hand sawing them will be very time consuming, but

have power available that can reach all of them (petrol generator). I was
thinking of a big circular saw? Depth of cut is the issue with those
however. Thanks for any replies

Have any idea why they're rounded off to begin with? Seems like in the UK,
with all that sunshine, you would want just the opposite of "factory cut
square and neat" to put off the inevitable rot due to standing water.

Short something where the depth of cut is sufficient to do it in one pass, a
jigged up circle saw should do the trick, cheaply and easily.

One method would be to devise a U shaped, with a fourth side hinged, jig
that can be easily clamped around the post, with the top four edges of the
clamped jig providing the guide "fence" for the base plate of the circle
saw, allowing you to cut 'round the post ... no pun intended.

Strictly FWIW ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Chainsaw.

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 22 May 2007 23:42:18 +0100, Chris Wilson
wrote:

I have a need to cut from one to three inches off 4 inch machined round
softwood fence posts that are already in the ground. There are over 200 of
the things...I want the ends factory cut square and neat, any ideas on the
easiest way to do this? Hand sawing them will be very time consuming, but I
have power available that can reach all of them (petrol generator). I was
thinking of a big circular saw? Depth of cut is the issue with those
however. Thanks for any replies

If you have a rental company in your area you might see what size
circular saw might be available. A 10" might do but there are 12" and
I think Makita even makes a 16" circular saw.

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have a need to cut from one to three inches off 4 inch machined round
softwood fence posts that are already in the ground. There are over 200 of
the things...I want the ends factory cut square and neat, any ideas on the
easiest way to do this?

My first thought was to use a sawzall, but if you're going for the
cleanest cut rather than the quickest, I think I prefer the idea of a
"hinged U" jig with a circular saw. The base plate of the circular
saw could be set at an angle if you wanted pyramidal tapered tips.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

I had 10 round posts I had to cut 3-4 inches off.
I used a 90* post level as a guide for my circular
saw and it worked great. After I made the first cut
I left the blade in the wood and used that to set the
post level on the other side and finished. Worked
great for me. Nice square and neat cuts.

Pumis

Posted to rec.woodworking

Finding the keyboard operational
Chris Wilson entered:

I have a need to cut from one to three inches off 4 inch machined
round softwood fence posts that are already in the ground. There are
over 200 of the things...I want the ends factory cut square and neat,
any ideas on the easiest way to do this? Hand sawing them will be
very time consuming, but I have power available that can reach all of
them (petrol generator). I was thinking of a big circular saw? Depth
of cut is the issue with those however. Thanks for any replies

You can make a rather precise cut with a Sawzall if you are in a posistion
that you can hold it with both hands without straining. You probably won't
be able to do 200 in a day without your arms getting tired.
My first thought was a bow saw but 200 is going to build a lot of muscle.
Bob
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
I have a need to cut from one to three inches off 4 inch machined round
softwood fence posts that are already in the ground. There are over 200 of
the things...I want the ends factory cut square and neat, any ideas on the
easiest way to do this? Hand sawing them will be very time consuming, but
have power available that can reach all of them (petrol generator). I was
thinking of a big circular saw? Depth of cut is the issue with those
however. Thanks for any replies

--
Best Regards,
Chris in England UK

12" DeWalt compound miter saw and a couple large "C" clamps. Clamp the saw
to the lower part of the post, below the cut line and let 'r rip. Nice
square cuts. If any problems, it was not my idea!
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg O wrote:
12" DeWalt compound miter saw and a couple large "C" clamps. Clamp
the saw to the lower part of the post, below the cut line and let 'r
rip. Nice square cuts. If any problems, it was not my idea!
Greg

My son was working for a guy who tried that very thing except without the
C-clamps and he was cutting some sort of aluminum window trim on the side of
a building from a ladder.... nonetheless it didn't work that well and the
miter saw took a dive off the ladder......I guess the saw missed him and he
stayed on the ladder barely.....fortunately my son isn't working for the guy
anymore......I guess it makes a lot of the sense that the guy eventually got
thrown in jail for repeated drunk driving. Rod

Posted to rec.woodworking

Easy... make a "saddle" out of 1x4 or 1x6 that is basically
a three sided box that "wraps" around the post in question.
Clamp the "saddle" in place.

Use your circular saw and the saddle as the guide.

A smaller circular saw will be easier to handle.