Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Cutting off in the ground fence posts squarely

"Chris Wilson" wrote in message
I have a need to cut from one to three inches off 4 inch machined round
softwood fence posts that are already in the ground. There are over 200 of
the things...I want the ends factory cut square and neat, any ideas on the
easiest way to do this? Hand sawing them will be very time consuming, but

have power available that can reach all of them (petrol generator). I was
thinking of a big circular saw? Depth of cut is the issue with those
however. Thanks for any replies

Have any idea why they're rounded off to begin with? Seems like in the UK,
with all that sunshine, you would want just the opposite of "factory cut
square and neat" to put off the inevitable rot due to standing water.

Short something where the depth of cut is sufficient to do it in one pass, a
jigged up circle saw should do the trick, cheaply and easily.

One method would be to devise a U shaped, with a fourth side hinged, jig
that can be easily clamped around the post, with the top four edges of the
clamped jig providing the guide "fence" for the base plate of the circle
saw, allowing you to cut 'round the post ... no pun intended.

Strictly FWIW ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07