Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Best auto wax?

Was the best auto wax these days? I used to use
Nu Finish, but I'm not sure if that's still the
best stuff for my truck.

Thanks,

S.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"samson" wrote in message
Was the best auto wax these days? I used to use
Nu Finish, but I'm not sure if that's still the
best stuff for my truck.

Thanks,

S.

Pennzoil wheel bearing grease.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"samson" wrote in message
Was the best auto wax these days? I used to use
Nu Finish, but I'm not sure if that's still the
best stuff for my truck.

Thanks,

S.

Just wondering, is your truck a woodie? If so, use a non-silicone wax or the
finish will birds-eye when you try to apply it.

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"samson" wrote in message
Was the best auto wax these days? I used to use
Nu Finish, but I'm not sure if that's still the
best stuff for my truck.

Thanks,

S.

Brake fluid mixed with a bit of trans fluid. Coat the truck and let it sit
for 24 hours, then hose it off. Your truck will have a brand new finish,
guaranteed.
--

"Anybody can have more birthdays; but it takes
balls to get old!"

Posted to rec.woodworking

I often put off-topic stuff in here;

I wonder if you are using NuFinish because it was rated by some one/thing as
#1. I think it states so ("rated #1") on the package, but I think they put
it on the liquid bottle too. Its the soft paste canister, not the liquid
bottle that was rated (by Consumers Reports) as #1. The liquid was in the
test too but came in down the list Its actually not a wax or mix of any
kind, its synthetic. They at Consumers Reports have there problems, some
comical, but what they do is sometimes just common sense, as in this case.
For this test they had a dozen or so waxes, some colour matched to the car -
Acura NSX wax, like over $100 a bottle. And a dozen people to record their
overall impression. It was over a long period - six months or a year. I
can't remember what or how, but they put the cars through all kinds of
conditions, sun, temp, water, etc. Its the only place you could ever get a
real test like this done, and its not the professional opinion you need.
They didn't actually use cars....they made and painted separate sheet metal
panels.

p.s. I just had a hood professionally polished, and its back to looking like
the rest of the car. I've been trying to do this for myself for years, with
no luck. It had a brown dirty haze, and must be from me waxing in the sun,
even when being careful not to let it dry. Must have been my fault. It was
awful. From now on I will never wax a car in the sun, or when its hot to
the touch. This is a major bummer, but the way its got to be.

"samson" wrote in message
Was the best auto wax these days? I used to use
Nu Finish, but I'm not sure if that's still the
best stuff for my truck.

Thanks,

S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

looks like they've done some testing since that test, which was maybe 5 yrs.
ago

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 17, 3:30?pm, samson wrote:
In article ,
says...

looks like they've done some testing since that test, which was maybe 5 yrs.
ago

Thanks for the good info. I went ahead and bought another
bottle of Nu Finish. It worked the last time I had a car
worth waxing. It did a good job today.

S.

I just tossed the Griot's catalog: they had one type of wax in there
for $560--for 8 ounces. I have to wonder just how much of that stuff
they sell.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I tried an electric buffer/polisher with compounds and all sandpapers
several times with a lot of effort, and nothing, well a little, but it took
a trip to the auto body shop to actually get the job done. My m/c may have
been the problem, or it could have been the compound, or the sanding, or a
combination. I don't doubt I could have done it eventually, but I may have
been searching for specifically recommended products, etc., and may have
doen damage. I'm glad its over. Never again on hot sheet metal, which means
I'll be washing in darkness/shade.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Tom is offline

On Thu, 17 May 2007 08:23:59 -0500, samson wrote:

Was the best auto wax these days? I used to use
Nu Finish, but I'm not sure if that's still the
best stuff for my truck.

A lot of finishes aren't actually wax. I've always used QuicShine 99 -
it's a waterless wash/wax that puts a genuine Carnauba wax finish on.
You have to find an independent reseller but it's good stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking

bent wrote:
I tried an electric buffer/polisher with compounds and all sandpapers
several times with a lot of effort, and nothing, well a little, but
it took
a trip to the auto body shop to actually get the job done. My m/c
may have
been the problem, or it could have been the compound, or the sanding,
or a
combination. I don't doubt I could have done it eventually, but I
may have
been searching for specifically recommended products, etc., and may
have
doen damage. I'm glad its over. Never again on hot sheet metal,
which means
I'll be washing in darkness/shade.

3M and Meguiars both have graduated finishing systems that you can get
at automotive paint stores. Go to the Web sites and learn the part
numbers though. That's what the body shop would have used.

Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Wax on, Wax off. WTF??? eclipsme Woodworking 9 December 29th 06 09:08 PM
new pine with a darker? wax look without the wax macson UK diy 8 March 22nd 06 02:57 PM
wax on woods? bkr Woodworking 3 January 8th 05 02:38 PM
Topcoat vs. Wax WoodworkerTed Woodworking 2 July 23rd 04 06:39 PM
Wax John UK diy 29 January 4th 04 12:29 PM