Posted to rec.woodworking
bent bent is offline

Default Best auto wax?

I often put off-topic stuff in here;

I wonder if you are using NuFinish because it was rated by some one/thing as
#1. I think it states so ("rated #1") on the package, but I think they put
it on the liquid bottle too. Its the soft paste canister, not the liquid
bottle that was rated (by Consumers Reports) as #1. The liquid was in the
test too but came in down the list Its actually not a wax or mix of any
kind, its synthetic. They at Consumers Reports have there problems, some
comical, but what they do is sometimes just common sense, as in this case.
For this test they had a dozen or so waxes, some colour matched to the car -
Acura NSX wax, like over $100 a bottle. And a dozen people to record their
overall impression. It was over a long period - six months or a year. I
can't remember what or how, but they put the cars through all kinds of
conditions, sun, temp, water, etc. Its the only place you could ever get a
real test like this done, and its not the professional opinion you need.
They didn't actually use cars....they made and painted separate sheet metal
panels.

p.s. I just had a hood professionally polished, and its back to looking like
the rest of the car. I've been trying to do this for myself for years, with
no luck. It had a brown dirty haze, and must be from me waxing in the sun,
even when being careful not to let it dry. Must have been my fault. It was
awful. From now on I will never wax a car in the sun, or when its hot to
the touch. This is a major bummer, but the way its got to be.

"samson" wrote in message
Was the best auto wax these days? I used to use
Nu Finish, but I'm not sure if that's still the
best stuff for my truck.

Thanks,

S.