Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chair feet

My question is really about modifying store-bought furniture, but is
just as applicable to a chair I might make.

I have a bar stool with turned and slightly splayed legs. The bottoms
of the legs are cut perpendicular to the axis of the leg rather than
on the plane of the floor. I'm thinking of putting it on my bench,
and using a pencil or plane iron bevel-side down to mark a uniform
distance up from the bench, then suing a block plane to trim these leg
ends to be coplanar. And reason not to do that?

The stool is on a hardwood floor finished in urethane. In the perfect
world, the floor would stay so clean that no grit would ever get
between the bottom of the stool and the floor, thus no scratches. In
the real world, I have had pretty good luck with hard felt self-stick
pads from HD, except that the adhesive doesn't hold all that great, so
I end up having to replace them periodically. The low-friction hard
plastic (UHMW?) pads don't seem to work as well in preventing
scratches from floor grit. Any other ideas? (The floor is already
down, so mag-lev is probably not feasibleg)
Posted to rec.woodworking

alexy wrote:

My question is really about modifying store-bought furniture, but is
just as applicable to a chair I might make.

I have a bar stool with turned and slightly splayed legs. The bottoms
of the legs are cut perpendicular to the axis of the leg rather than
on the plane of the floor. I'm thinking of putting it on my bench,
and using a pencil or plane iron bevel-side down to mark a uniform
distance up from the bench, then suing a block plane to trim these leg
ends to be coplanar. And reason not to do that?

Willing to bet a considerable amount you won't get it done to
anybody's satisfaction.

snip

Any other ideas? (The floor is already
down, so mag-lev is probably not feasibleg)

You take a page from the Gougeon Bros book on Boat Construction
Mounting sheet winches. (they almost always get mounted at some goofy
angle).

Basically, you screw a sheet metal screw into the bottom of the leg
leaving say 1" exposed.

Set chair of floor and adjust screws till chair is level.

Apply epoxy fairing putty around screws in 2-3 applications, 8-12
hours apart.

When finished, allow to cure for about a week, remove screws and sand
smooth.

Attach new floor glide to bottom of fairing putty.

Couple of things to remember:

1) The above adds about 1" to 1-1/4" to leg length, may have to trim
leg before starting.

2) Fairing putty is white. Either tint during or paint afterwards.

Paint is easier.

Have fun.

BTW, all of the above assumes the floor is level.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote
*snip*

You take a page from the Gougeon Bros book on Boat Construction
Mounting sheet winches. (they almost always get mounted at some goofy
angle).

Ok, I just have to snikker here...
heh heh heh
;ŹD

Kate

Posted to rec.woodworking

FWIW,

I like your plan, except the block plane. Cut with a fine handsaw, then
clean it up with a chisel.

BTW I have stools with similar felt pads but they live on ceramic tile so
scratches are less of a problem. I use the same pads on my dining room
chairs and the stay put much better with the contact surface parallel to the
floor.

-Steve

news

--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked

infrequently.