Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How make dowel rod?

trs80 wrote:
Without a lathe, how can I make 1" dowel rod from Oak?

[...]
Anyone done this?

I haven't done this myself, but after recently looking over the
tool porn catalog from Lee Valley--I noticed they have an interesting
looking device[1] for doing this. From the description, it sounds
like you can either use this tool by hand or with a drill to
turn the stock.

NOTE: I don't own this tool, and I haven't used one, so I don't know
if they work well or not. But being that it's a Veritas tool, it's
probably pretty good.

[1]: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42288

remove ".invalid".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 9, 5:08 pm, "Michael Faurot"
wrote:
trs80 wrote:
Without a lathe, how can I make 1" dowel rod from Oak?

[...]
Anyone done this?

I haven't done this myself, but after recently looking over the
tool porn catalog from Lee Valley--I noticed they have an interesting
looking device[1] for doing this. From the description, it sounds
like you can either use this tool by hand or with a drill to
turn the stock.

NOTE: I don't own this tool, and I haven't used one, so I don't know
if they work well or not. But being that it's a Veritas tool, it's
probably pretty good.

[1]:http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42288

Rotary plane, variation on the stail engine, similar to a pencil
sharpener,
itself a variation on a plane or a stail engine, whichever you
prefer. This
method is nice because you can adjust the dowel diameter +/- a
few thousandths of an inch according to desired snugness of
fit. Don't own the Veritas (not bad for the price), but do own a
homemade version complete with home tempered Starrett
O-1 steel cutter, made for cutting wooden mouthpiece plugs for
PVC flutes. Works fine once the blade depth is set just light
of taking paper thin shavings.

How make dowel rod? trs80 Woodworking 1 May 8th 07 09:41 PM
How make dowel rod? SWDeveloper Woodworking 2 May 8th 07 04:57 PM
How make dowel rod? Joe Woodworking 0 May 8th 07 02:53 PM
How make dowel rod? Leon Woodworking 0 May 8th 07 01:21 PM
How make dowel rod? Bob Woodworking 1 May 8th 07 06:56 AM