Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How make dowel rod?

On Mon, 7 May 2007 23:48:02 GMT, "trs80" wrote:

Without a lathe, how can I make 1" dowel rod from Oak?
Is it as simple as taking a 1" square oak blank and running each side
through a router table with 1/2 radius round over bit against the bit
bearing and a fence?

Seems like that last side would be a problem to keep aligned.

Im doing this becuase I need dowels longer then 4' which is the longest I
can find to buy.

Anyone done this?
thanks

Dowel making on a lathe is not as easy as it sounds, unless you have
some sort of jig that holds a router or other tool. Making one with
a round-over router bit works. You can make a hexagon, then sand it
round. Easiest way is to purchase a dowel rod.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 8, 8:51 am, SWDeveloper wrote:
On Mon, 7 May 2007 23:48:02 GMT, "trs80" wrote:
Without a lathe, how can I make 1" dowel rod from Oak?
Is it as simple as taking a 1" square oak blank and running each side
through a router table with 1/2 radius round over bit against the bit
bearing and a fence?

Seems like that last side would be a problem to keep aligned.

Im doing this becuase I need dowels longer then 4' which is the longest I
can find to buy.

Anyone done this?
thanks

Dowel making on a lathe is not as easy as it sounds, unless you have
some sort of jig that holds a router or other tool. Making one with
a round-over router bit works. You can make a hexagon, then sand it
round. Easiest way is to purchase a dowel rod.

Google "stail engine." Not too hard to make your own. Japan
Woodworker used to sell them for about $8.00, IIRC.

Commercial dowels are invariably out-of-round, except for the
bagged cutoffs with the glue channels. Milling process using
two passes over a bullnose shaper cutter is to blame. Rotary
cut dowels from 30 years ago were almost always dead-on-
perfect.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SWDeveloper" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 May 2007 23:48:02 GMT, "trs80" wrote:

Without a lathe, how can I make 1" dowel rod from Oak?
Is it as simple as taking a 1" square oak blank and running each side
through a router table with 1/2 radius round over bit against the bit
bearing and a fence?

Seems like that last side would be a problem to keep aligned.

Im doing this becuase I need dowels longer then 4' which is the longest I
can find to buy.

Anyone done this?
thanks

Dowel making on a lathe is not as easy as it sounds, unless you have
some sort of jig that holds a router or other tool. Making one with
a round-over router bit works. You can make a hexagon, then sand it
round. Easiest way is to purchase a dowel rod.

You can do with a quarter-round or bullnose bit, of course. Use the jointer
principle and support it on the far side of the bit with a shaped "fence" is
the best, leaving periodic square sections to be removed later, ensuring
that two contact a fence at all times will work too. The U (ok it's not a
_deep_ U) method does the hold down for you. featherboard the in hold.

How make dowel rod? Bob Woodworking 1 May 8th 07 06:56 AM
How to make a rod bending jig mlcorson Metalworking 8 January 17th 06 05:53 PM
Possible to make a welding rod storage container [email protected] Metalworking 4 June 30th 05 04:38 AM
Wooden Dowel Rod People Question Skip Summer Woodworking 6 November 15th 04 06:57 PM
Where can I buy Metric Sizes Dowel Rod? Tom Watson Woodworking 24 October 19th 04 02:06 PM