Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How make dowel rod?

thank you!. Those are great tips. Ill take a shot at using the round over
bit on the table router making sure to do only sections short enough to keep
a flat against the fence. But I really like the home made jig too. That
would be a fun jig to make.

thanks again for the superb help
"trs80" wrote in message
Without a lathe, how can I make 1" dowel rod from Oak?
Is it as simple as taking a 1" square oak blank and running each side
through a router table with 1/2 radius round over bit against the bit
bearing and a fence?

Seems like that last side would be a problem to keep aligned.

Im doing this becuase I need dowels longer then 4' which is the longest I
can find to buy.

Anyone done this?
thanks

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8 May, 16:59, "trs80" wrote:
thank you!. Those are great tips. Ill take a shot at using the round over
bit on the table router making sure to do only sections short enough to keep
a flat against the fence. But I really like the home made jig too. That
would be a fun jig to make.

thanks again for the superb help"trs80" wrote in message

Without a lathe, how can I make 1" dowel rod from Oak?
Is it as simple as taking a 1" square oak blank and running each side
through a router table with 1/2 radius round over bit against the bit
bearing and a fence?

Seems like that last side would be a problem to keep aligned.

Im doing this becuase I need dowels longer then 4' which is the longest I
can find to buy.

Anyone done this?
thanks

Unless you want a lot of them then doing it by hand is easy - mark up
a circle at each end of the blank and then just join the lines with a
jack or a block plane - or rough out with an axe, draw knife etc to
start with. To plane, hold in a vice or a simple cradle jig of some
sort.
I'd ignore the Lie-Nielsen website explaining dowel plates as it's
all wrong. Dowel plate is very useful for short dowels such as you'd
put through the corner of a frame mortice & tenon, but it has to be
firmly mounted in the top of a bench as you have to hit very hard.

cheers
Jacob

How make dowel rod? SWDeveloper Woodworking 2 May 8th 07 04:57 PM
How make dowel rod? Joe Woodworking 0 May 8th 07 02:53 PM
How make dowel rod? Swingman Woodworking 0 May 8th 07 02:31 PM
How make dowel rod? Leon Woodworking 0 May 8th 07 01:21 PM
How make dowel rod? Bob Woodworking 1 May 8th 07 06:56 AM