Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT Craft show question

Did a high end invitation only show this weekend. Great setting (
Governors Mansion and Capitol Building grounds) free food for all and
special VIP breakfast for invited participants. Lots of fancy dress and Ky
Derby Hats on the women and all the usual Ky Derby hoopla. The general
public was invited to a buffet breakfast and to see and buy from the vendors
(only 36 vendors invited) I had one family with three little girls come by
and the oldest kid about 10 yr old threw up in front of my booth, causing an
awkward moment. Every thing else went fine, decent sales, nice customers
most on the upper scale of income. Toward the end of the show I had a mother
and daughter come in to the booth, both clean but not "well dressed", kid
wanted every thing in the booth. She finally settled on two items one $6
and one $8. The mother gently let the kid know that she couldn't afford the
$8 toy but could get the $6 toy, if they didn't buy anything else at the
show and skipped some other treat of the day. (This was done quietly while
I was with another customer so I wouldn't know.) What should I have done?

What I did was offer the mother a "slightly damaged" $8 toy for $6 and when
she agreed (much to the little girl"s delight) and I had made the
transaction I knelt beside the little girl (in the mother's sight and
hearing) and slipped the $6 dollar toy in her pocket and told her it was
because she was such a delightful and cute child. I got a hug from the girl
a smile from the mother and a your a sucker look from SWMBO.

Tie in to wood they were wooden toys.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

"sweet sawdust" wrote in message
[...]

The world needs more "suckers" like you. Fine thing you did there.

Posted to rec.woodworking

sweet sawdust wrote:

Did a high end invitation only show this weekend.

snip a tear jerk story
I got a hug from the girl
a smile from the mother and a your a sucker look from SWMBO.

Your CFO complains about giving the store away.

Your VP of Sales complains about losing commissions.

As CEO, you get to make executive decisions that allow you the
opportunity to reap the rewards of knowing you made some body else's
day a little bit brighter.

You enjoy those moments to the fullest, because there is no place for
them in the bank.

That's one of the perks of being the CEO. G

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

I got a hug from the girl
a smile from the mother

That should tell you right there what you need to know about doing a
good thing, or the right thing.

and a your a sucker look from SWMBO.

Pretty sad comment there.

I don't give away a lot in my business, but I have to say that with my
now aged, partially disabled parents living on SS, I do have a real
soft spot for the old folks.

My buddies call my efforts "gettin' my ticket punched for the Glory
train".

I do it because I want to.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "sweet sawdust" wrote:
[...]

What should you have done? What you did, of course.

What I did was offer the mother a "slightly damaged" $8 toy for $6 and when
she agreed (much to the little girl"s delight) and I had made the
transaction I knelt beside the little girl (in the mother's sight and
hearing) and slipped the $6 dollar toy in her pocket and told her it was
because she was such a delightful and cute child. I got a hug from the girl
a smile from the mother and a your a sucker look from SWMBO.

I'm guessing the kid needed the toy more than you needed six bucks. You did
the right thing. Thanks for making the world a little bit better place than it
was the day before. Good job.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Considering the state of the world today, you set a great example for the
mother and child that there still are nice people around. I'd bet the smile
and the hug were the best payment you received that day.

Well done!

Vic

Posted to rec.woodworking

sweet sawdust wrote:
Did a high end invitation only show this weekend.

snip

What should I have done?

snip

Almost missed the question there. But you answered it
yourself just like I think you should have.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

The Universe is a big place . . .
perhaps the biggest.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Who says Santa doesn't exist......maybe a little late.

That's what being an American is about......caring about our fellow people.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank everyone for the answers and kind words. doing something like this
does make a day or show special, and I always have found one person whose
day can be made better by a kind word or act. Some day if any one is
interested I'll share some of the stranger/funnier ones. How ever I am
finding more of the little girls in my story at every show then I have in
the past. Makes me wonder what's going on and If I can keep giving away
items Like I have in the past. I know I will as long as I can afford it.

One last story about a show. It was a slow show, looking crowd not many
buyers. A family comes in and are looking at the toys, playing with them and
asking questions. The Grandfather who spoke with a strange (at least to me)
accent was introduced to me as just having come over to visit his daughter
from Israel. He picked up a $2 item and told me it was two expensive, he
would like to buy it but wouldn't pay such a high price for it. His
daughter turned around from talking with my wife with a look of horror on
her face. I told the grandfather that to take less would be a disgrace to
my labor and for him to pay less would dishoner me. We went on for about
ten minutes accusing each other of trying to rob the other and steal food
from out of our babies mouths etc. Drew a small crowd and had the daughter
and her husband trying to crawl in a hole and hide. In the end he got the
item for $1.90. I sold about $50 or so to the amused onlookers and daughter
and husband hustled the old man away looking like they wanted to die. It
was a fun sale.
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 7, 11:26 pm, "sweet sawdust"
wrote:

SNIP

He picked up a $2 item and told me it was two expensive, he would like to buy it but wouldn't pay such a high price for it. His daughter turned around from talking with my wife with a look of horror on her face. I told the randfather that to take less would be a disgrace to
my labor and for him to pay less would dishoner me. We ent on for about
ten minutes accusing each other of trying to rob the other and steal food from out of our babies mouths etc.

SNIP

Wow. Life is too short for that, amigo. I would have told him that
sorry old tightwad to get lost. I have run into that attitude before,
but rarely over ten frikkin' cents. In his mind, or in his country,
haggling may be a tradition. Good for him.

I wouldn't stand there and waste air talking to him, making everyone
around us feel that uncomfortable.

My thoughts are this: if you want to tell me something I am selling is
too expensive, that is certainly your option. Any salesperson is used
to hearing that.

If you want to stand and insult me, my ethics, my work, my business
and talk to me about taking food out of a child's mouth for something
that you don't have to buy, beware.

I will try to give about double what I get from that exchange.

And for .10? Ten cents?

I would probably throw a two dollar item at him and tell him to shove
it.

But then, that's just me. As always, YMMV.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

sweet sawdust wrote:
Thank everyone for the answers and kind words.

snip

items Like I have in the past. I know I will as long as I can

afford it.

The Grandfather who spoke with a strange (at least to me)
accent was introduced to me as just having come over to visit his

daughter
from Israel. He picked up a $2 item and told me it was two

expensive, he
would like to buy it but wouldn't pay such a high price for it. His
daughter turned around from talking with my wife with a look of

horror on
her face. I told the grandfather that to take less would be a

disgrace to
my labor and for him to pay less would dishoner me.

snip

Don't you just love those "first liar doesn't have a chance" scenarios?

Great way to have fun.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 8, 12:44 am, Lew Hodgett wrote:
wrote:

Wow. Life is too short for that, amigo. I would have told him that
sorry old tightwad to get lost.

It's not the money, it's the game that counts.

Money is just how you keep score.

Lew

Hmmm.... guess too many years of self employment leads to a different
place. I enjoy the game and art of selling, but I never lose sight of
the fact (as self employed, I don't sell, I don't eat) that I am there
to pay bills and to profit.

Making that little girl's day was great, and that I like. I will give
something away, but I won't be humiliated, embarassed, or shamed into
it. Especially not 10 cents. I don't think anyone thinks 10 cents is
worth anything anymore. Thinking that he was there to make money (to
which he expressed his concern), why take the time to argue about 10
cents? The guy was there to satisfy his ego by getting anything he
could for free.

I think he would have done better to hold a contest at his booth and
give one or two away to increase his traffic.

Again, that's just me. When I am trying to make a buck, I am not
interested in witty reparte, pithy tit for tat, or any other
linguistic contests that take away from my purpose.
And insults... not acceptable.

As I sell the services for my company, I know pretty much what I
should be charging and getting for certain types of repairs. If I
have one of those folks that loves to haggle, or worse, someone
showing off for the wife, I approach it like this: Intentionally go
in high, and I let the customer "have their way with me".

They beat me down to the price I want.

When we are finished and I have a signed contract, I tell them all
kinds of things like 'hey, if you ever need a job, I hope you call
me!" and "damn.. I don't want to get tangled up with you on the
pricing again... I'll wind up doing it for free!!"

The client is hugely pleased with his business acumen and I have a
signed contract.

Most likely too, (as in the case of my elderly father!) they are happy
because they knocked that construction guy down a peg or two, and are
able to tell their friends at the poker game how they had to "put that
sombitch" in his place. Hopefully, they get a little praise from the
wife too for showing their knowledge fo the art of negotiation.

I usually get a few more points than I normally would from these guys,
and if I do a good job, they don't mind referring me to their
friends. Works for me.

Now to ME, that's the game.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

If it had been a busy show I wouldn't have given him the time of day either,
but it was slow I was bored and he was too. No malice was intended on
either side it was a game I had played in Europe and he had played in his
home land. A little fun for booth of us.
oups.com...
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Tue, May 8, 2007, 7:03am (EDT-1)
(sweet*sawdust) doth clarify:
Toys. At this show it was 1850. snip whammey doodle snip spinning
disk ( button on a string) snip acrobat snip

Ah, figured just about had to be some type of toy, just couldn't
figure out what kind - most toys must take highly skilled craftsmen to
make, judging by the prices asked most of the time, no matter how simple
they are. Or maybe it's because some people thank that 'handmade' is
another word for 'exensive'. Yeah right.

When I was a kid, none of us ever had any interest in whammy
doodles or acrobats. We used to string large buttons on a string tho.
Get that thing spinning full blast and it'd probably have imbedded
itself in the forehead if the sring had ever broke. We used to see who
could make one buzz the loudest.

How about another sure seller? We used to make our own darts.
Take one clean, shelled, corn cob, stick three chicken feathers in one
end, stick a sharp nail, poin out, in the other end. Our 'dart board'
was usually the side of a corn crib, darts stuck nicely. I know I was
probably in the 6-7 age range making these, so they're safe for small
children. We all knew that if we threw one at someone else, that hit or
not that person would damn well throw a dart back, with all their
strength, instead of just running off crying.
Now that I hink about it, skyhooks used to go over pretty big too.

I turned 66 last Dec. You do the math.

JOAT
What is life without challenge and a constant stream of new
humiliations?
- Peter Egan

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 8 May 2007 12:43:25 -0400, (J T)
wrote:

I turned 66 last Dec. You do the math.

Ah an early boomer. As opposed to me at late boomer.

Mark
http://home.mchsi.com/~xphome/

Columbus Woodworking Show Question Scraper Woodworking 3 January 7th 07 03:13 AM
craft show Tony Potter Woodturning 0 November 30th 06 08:13 PM
Bird watching at the craft show Arch Woodturning 2 October 7th 06 03:28 AM
Pearls of your Craft... daclark Woodworking 1 July 31st 06 09:54 PM
Shop Cranes: I'll show you mine if you show me yours... Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 4 March 3rd 05 12:08 AM