Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Columbus Woodworking Show Question

I have recently moved back into the Central Ohio area. I saw an ad for
the upcoming Columbus Woodworking Show. Was wondering if anyone had
been to it and what their thoughts were. I am a rookie with a few
basic tools, but have hope to someday be a rookie with really nice
tools. What can I expect from the show? Good deals on tools?
Supplies? Good place to pick up some knowledge? (The ad I saw wasn't
very specific.)

Thanks for the help,
S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I go the show every year, and will attend this year as well. I wouldn't
expect any great deals, but there are some good ones. The prices are
generally close to street prices, but you often get some freebies thrown in.
If not, ask for some! There generally are several vendor demonstrations
going on at once and Marc Adams will be there this year offering some
classes. Here's a link to the event:
http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/columbus
I have the full brochure I got in the mail if your need more info.
After paying for parking and admission, enter the show and look to your
right. You should see a restroom sign. In front of that sign there is
usually a beer vendor cleverly disguised as a pretzel stand. Get yourself a
cold one and do some tool shopping! Nothing better in the world than
enjoying a beer while shopping for power tools! --dave

"Larry Kraus" wrote in message
"Scraper" wrote:

I have recently moved back into the Central Ohio area. I saw an ad for
the upcoming Columbus Woodworking Show. Was wondering if anyone had
been to it and what their thoughts were. I am a rookie with a few
basic tools, but have hope to someday be a rookie with really nice
tools. What can I expect from the show? Good deals on tools?
Supplies? Good place to pick up some knowledge? (The ad I saw wasn't
very specific.)

Thanks for the help,
S.

You should probably go at least once, just to satisfy your curiosity.
Expect some good demonstrations, crowds, long lines, so-so deals. Most
prices can be matched online, though sometimes the show-only price
includes a video or an extra accessory. If you want something
specific, know your prices before you go. This may be your only chance
to put your hands on a Veritas plane without buying one or going to
Canada. Eat before you go - the concession prices are outrageous.
Parking is $4-5 dollars, though I think Rockler is offering to pay for
it with a $30 show purchase. Even if you do not go to the show,
Woodwerks (for REALLY nice tools) is offering 10% off most everything
in the store that same weekend...

Posted to rec.woodworking

I will be there also...been to the last two...no biggies on tool specials.
Watch yourself if you have to ask product vendors specific questions. Last
year I asked the Delta people a specific machine question and they told me
they didn't know and were just hired to promote products and not answer
tech questions. They tried to give me a brochure that was 2 years old
also...

The one thing that I want to see if the gentleman showing how to create
some simple products featured in Wood magazine. I am especially interested
in the mantel clock since I was going to make this last summer but had
questions on how to do some of the cuts so I am looking forward to watching
him do the cuts and asking questions.

There are also the misc info commercial products there also. Very
interesting to see the demos in person just to prove to yourself the items
are pieces of junk whether on TV or in person.

Karl

Scraper wrote:

I have recently moved back into the Central Ohio area. I saw an ad for
the upcoming Columbus Woodworking Show. Was wondering if anyone had
been to it and what their thoughts were. I am a rookie with a few
basic tools, but have hope to someday be a rookie with really nice
tools. What can I expect from the show? Good deals on tools?
Supplies? Good place to pick up some knowledge? (The ad I saw wasn't
very specific.)

Thanks for the help,
S.

Posted to rec.woodworking

It'd be nice to meet some other local columbus wood workers at the show.
I'm currently laid off (almost like being retired, except the benefits will
run out sooner!) so I am available about anytime. I planned on going friday
morn, but that can change. Maybe a bunch of us could grab a bite before or
after the show? Anyway, I'm at OHtoolman at yahoo dot com. Hope to hear
from some fellow WW's --dave

"Scraper" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have recently moved back into the Central Ohio area. I saw an ad for
the upcoming Columbus Woodworking Show. Was wondering if anyone had
been to it and what their thoughts were. I am a rookie with a few
basic tools, but have hope to someday be a rookie with really nice
tools. What can I expect from the show? Good deals on tools?
Supplies? Good place to pick up some knowledge? (The ad I saw wasn't
very specific.)

Thanks for the help,
S.

Houston Woodworking Show ? Steve DeMars Woodworking 2 March 3rd 06 04:37 AM
Woodworking Show, KC Ken Woodworking 0 February 4th 06 04:03 AM
Columbus OH woodworking show.. Dave Jackson Woodworking 12 January 19th 06 02:50 AM
woodworking show neal.don Woodworking 31 January 24th 05 07:04 PM
anybody got to the wood show in columbus? how was it? roger garber Woodworking 3 January 16th 05 10:35 PM