Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New Box

I play around in my little shed and sometimes things come forth.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...que_edited.jpg

The top is sycamore, the dark bits are utili and the panels are end-
grain birch. I was so-o-o-o-o-o-o tempted to try a thatched top!

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FoggyTown" wrote in message
ups.com...
I play around in my little shed and sometimes things come forth.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...que_edited.jpg

The top is sycamore, the dark bits are utili and the panels are end-
grain birch. I was so-o-o-o-o-o-o tempted to try a thatched top!

FoggyTown

That is a really cool design and looks great. I do certainly hope that the
birch does not expand or contract in the years to come.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Very nice with the end grain displayed like you did. I think a thatched top
would have taken away from the beautiful end grain pattern. Maybe a utili
handle on the top would add some interest?

Tim

"FoggyTown" wrote in message
ups.com...
I play around in my little shed and sometimes things come forth.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...que_edited.jpg

The top is sycamore, the dark bits are utili and the panels are end-
grain birch. I was so-o-o-o-o-o-o tempted to try a thatched top!

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...%20project/?ac...

The top is sycamore, the dark bits are utili and the panels are end-
grain birch. I was so-o-o-o-o-o-o tempted to try a thatched top!

FoggyTown

Cool

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 6, 10:06�pm, "Leon" wrote:
"FoggyTown" wrote in message

ups.com...

I play around in my little shed and sometimes things come forth.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...%20project/?ac...

The top is sycamore, the dark bits are utili and the panels are end-
grain birch. *I was so-o-o-o-o-o-o tempted to try a thatched top!

FoggyTown

That is a really cool design and looks great. *I do certainly hope that the
birch does not expand or contract in the years to come.

So do I. But I couldn't find any other wood with such a pronounced
end grain and a small radius so that the figuring was so prominent.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FoggyTown" wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 6, 10:06?pm, "Leon" wrote:
"FoggyTown" wrote in message

ups.com...

I play around in my little shed and sometimes things come forth.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...%20project/?ac...

The top is sycamore, the dark bits are utili and the panels are end-
grain birch. I was so-o-o-o-o-o-o tempted to try a thatched top!

FoggyTown

That is a really cool design and looks great. I do certainly hope that the
birch does not expand or contract in the years to come.

So do I. But I couldn't find any other wood with such a pronounced
end grain and a small radius so that the figuring was so prominent.

FoggyTown

The orientation of the end grain is more the problem with wood movement and
or shrinkage than the particular species. Either way it looks pretty cool.
I'm thinking perhaps an end grain veneer might be an option if this happens
to give you a problem later on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 8, 2:36�pm, "Leon" wrote:
"FoggyTown" wrote in message

ups.com...
On May 6, 10:06?pm, "Leon" wrote:

"FoggyTown" wrote in message

oups.com...

I play around in my little shed and sometimes things come forth.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l3...%20project/?ac....

The top is sycamore, the dark bits are utili and the panels are end-
grain birch. I was so-o-o-o-o-o-o tempted to try a thatched top!

FoggyTown

That is a really cool design and looks great. I do certainly hope that the
birch does not expand or contract in the years to come.

So do I. *But I couldn't find any other wood with such a pronounced
end grain and a small radius so that the figuring was so prominent.

FoggyTown

The orientation of the end grain is more the problem with wood movement and
or shrinkage than the particular species. *Either way it looks pretty cool.
I'm thinking perhaps an end grain veneer might be an option if this happens
to give you a problem later on.

Actually it's already a kind of thick veneer. I made an initial 4-
sided box of 3mm ply and then glued the 4mm thick end-grain panels and
utili strips to the ply as well as the panels and stripes to each
other. So every component of the skin has five mating surfaces. If
I'm lucky it will be stable!

FoggyTown