Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Butt Joint strength

The project I'm working on requires a butt joint that will undergo a little
stress. I'm obviously going the glue the length of the joint, but I'd like
to reinforce it with a)screws, b)dowels, or c)biscuits. Anyone have an
opinion as to which of these 3 would add the most strength to the joint?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 5, 2:15 pm, wrote:
The project I'm working on requires a butt joint that will undergo a little
stress. I'm obviously going the glue the length of the joint, but I'd like
to reinforce it with a)screws, b)dowels, or c)biscuits. Anyone have an
opinion as to which of these 3 would add the most strength to the joint?

OOHHHH Charlie beeeee......

Where are you?

;^)

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

Couple of layers of double bias glass and some epoxy.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...
The project I'm working on requires a butt joint that will undergo a
little
stress. I'm obviously going the glue the length of the joint, but I'd like
to reinforce it with a)screws, b)dowels, or c)biscuits. Anyone have an
opinion as to which of these 3 would add the most strength to the joint?

Of the 3 choices, B.

If you go to a little more trouble you could do lap joints and strengthen
the joint considerably.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...
The project I'm working on requires a butt joint that will undergo a
little
stress. I'm obviously going the glue the length of the joint, but I'd like
to reinforce it with a)screws, b)dowels, or c)biscuits. Anyone have an
opinion as to which of these 3 would add the most strength to the joint?

Does it have to be butt or can it be a lap joint? Or can you cut the pieces
staggered (like mirrored L's) so at least some portion of the joint it grain
to grain?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

wrote in message ...
The project I'm working on requires a butt joint that will undergo a
little
stress. I'm obviously going the glue the length of the joint, but I'd like
to reinforce it with a)screws, b)dowels, or c)biscuits. Anyone have an
opinion as to which of these 3 would add the most strength to the joint?

I might have the wrong mental picture but how about tongue and groove?

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

wrote in message ...
The project I'm working on requires a butt joint that will undergo a
little
stress. I'm obviously going the glue the length of the joint, but I'd like
to reinforce it with a)screws, b)dowels, or c)biscuits. Anyone have an
opinion as to which of these 3 would add the most strength to the joint?

Of those choices, dowels unquestionably.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
wrote in message
The project I'm working on requires a butt joint that will undergo
a little
stress. I'm obviously going the glue the length of the joint, but
I'd like to reinforce it with a)screws, b)dowels, or c)biscuits.
Anyone have an opinion as to which of these 3 would add the most
strength to the joint?

Of the 3 choices, B.

If you go to a little more trouble you could do lap joints and
strengthen the joint considerably.

Or a scarf.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 5, 3:15 pm, wrote:
The project I'm working on requires a butt joint that will undergo a little
stress. I'm obviously going the glue the length of the joint, but I'd like
to reinforce it with a)screws, b)dowels, or c)biscuits. Anyone have an
opinion as to which of these 3 would add the most strength to the joint?

Square dowels, aka false tenons.

Posted to rec.woodworking

To answer your question where the butt joint is not subject to stress and
blended for cosmetic effect the screw and dowel construction are the most
effective. Where the joint is subjected to minimum to stronger stress, as
stated before, "Consider a scarf, finger or lap joint". If you are dealing
with oily wood like teak even two part epoxy will not adhere good you have
to add mechanical devices like screws or equivalent.

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sat, 5 May 2007 19:15:04 GMT, wrote:

The project I'm working on requires a butt joint that will undergo a
little
stress. I'm obviously going the glue the length of the joint, but I'd like
to reinforce it with a)screws, b)dowels, or c)biscuits. Anyone have an
opinion as to which of these 3 would add the most strength to the joint?

Butt joints are the weakest. Consider a scarf, finger or lap joint.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message ...
The project I'm working on requires a butt joint that will undergo a
little
stress. I'm obviously going the glue the length of the joint, but I'd like
to reinforce it with a)screws, b)dowels, or c)biscuits. Anyone have an
opinion as to which of these 3 would add the most strength to the joint?

Weld it, make sure to use stainless welding rod so it won't rust.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning towards dowels. To explain the project
further, it's a fold over leg for a Murphy bed. As such, the leg itself (and
the joint) is situated in the middle of the second piece which negates the
possibility of using a scarf or half-lap joint. A stopped dado is a
possibility, as long as I increase that dimension of the foot to compensate
for the depth of the dado.

-Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

wrote in message ...
Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning towards dowels. To explain the
project
further, it's a fold over leg for a Murphy bed. As such, the leg itself
(and
the joint) is situated in the middle of the second piece which negates the
possibility of using a scarf or half-lap joint. A stopped dado is a
possibility, as long as I increase that dimension of the foot to
compensate
for the depth of the dado.

I use dowels for virtually everything since I got a dowelmax jig. It
doesn't have the production speed of a domino, but it secures the joint in
all directions (not just two dimensions) and it doesn't require a $300
vacuum to use it. :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.woodworking

"A little stress" can be defined a number of ways..

Are we talking "shear stress" on a joint
or "sag stress" from a bookcase ?

There are big differences between a chair and a table.
Both get stress but you can guess which one receives the
very most.

What are you building will be required to give a real
answer.

wrote:

The project I'm working on requires a butt joint that will undergo a little
stress. I'm obviously going the glue the length of the joint, but I'd like
to reinforce it with a)screws, b)dowels, or c)biscuits. Anyone have an
opinion as to which of these 3 would add the most strength to the joint?

Posted to rec.woodworking

We're talking shear stress, as the joint involves the foot underneath a
murphy bed. The foot folds out from the top of the bed on a pivoting board.
The joint in question is between the foot and the pivot board. The foot
meets in the middle of the board, which eliminates a scarf or half lap
joint. I'm leaning towards dowels as a strenghthener. I don't expect a whole
lot of stress on the board, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

-Bill