Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Butt Joint strength

wrote:
| The project I'm working on requires a butt joint that will undergo
| a little stress. I'm obviously going the glue the length of the
| joint, but I'd like to reinforce it with a)screws, b)dowels, or
| c)biscuits. Anyone have an opinion as to which of these 3 would add
| the most strength to the joint?

How many opinions can you stand? :-D

For me, the answer would depend on the stresses involved and what the
cosmetic requirements are. I'm prone to use pocket screw joinery when
I can - and M&T (sometimes pegged) when I can't.

Worse still, if I feel particularly AR about racking, I use a joint
like the one pictured at the link below.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar