Posted to rec.woodworking
Bob Bob is offline

Default Butt Joint strength

wrote in message ...
Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning towards dowels. To explain the
project
further, it's a fold over leg for a Murphy bed. As such, the leg itself
(and
the joint) is situated in the middle of the second piece which negates the
possibility of using a scarf or half-lap joint. A stopped dado is a
possibility, as long as I increase that dimension of the foot to
compensate
for the depth of the dado.

I use dowels for virtually everything since I got a dowelmax jig. It
doesn't have the production speed of a domino, but it secures the joint in
all directions (not just two dimensions) and it doesn't require a $300
vacuum to use it. :-)

Bob