Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shocked at lumber prices

I'm kind of price-shocked this morning. I requested pricing yesterday
for some finished (thickness planed) and for 70.3 bd. feet of white
oak was quoted CA$825 approx US$750. Are these prices outrageous or
is it just me? I'm located in Toronto, Canada.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jimbo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm kind of price-shocked this morning. I requested pricing yesterday
for some finished (thickness planed) and for 70.3 bd. feet of white
oak was quoted CA$825 approx US$750. Are these prices outrageous or
is it just me? I'm located in Toronto, Canada.

Quarter Sawn? Riff Sawn? S2S? S4S?

Posted to rec.woodworking
bc bc is offline

On May 4, 8:15 am, "Leon" wrote:

Quarter Sawn? Riff Sawn? S2S? S4S?

I can get even quarter sawn S2S for under $5/bf . The last stuff that
I bought was FAS, S2S and ripped 1 side for $2.24/bf. Of course I'm in
the southern US with lots of saw mills close, but that price was from
a cabinet supply shop in a major city soooo... I'd do some more
checking if I was the OP. bc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 4, 9:08 am, Jimbo wrote:
I'm kind of price-shocked this morning. I requested pricing yesterday
for some finished (thickness planed) and for 70.3 bd. feet of white
oak was quoted CA$825 approx US$750. Are these prices outrageous or
is it just me? I'm located in Toronto, Canada.

In Pennsylvania, I'd expect to pay 3.25 per board ft for 5/4 white oak
FAS. I could buy it for you, mark it up and ship it for less than US
$750.00. I'll bet if you shop around, you'll find a better price. On a
whole, Canada has affordable lumber.

Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 4, 9:15 am, "Leon" wrote:
"Jimbo" wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm kind of price-shocked this morning. I requested pricing yesterday
for some finished (thickness planed) and for 70.3 bd. feet of white
oak was quoted CA$825 approx US$750. Are these prices outrageous or
is it just me? I'm located in Toronto, Canada.

Quarter Sawn? Riff Sawn? S2S? S4S?

It is possible that I used the wrong terminology when I requested the
quote, or even left out important details - but I did admit my
inexperience in my original request . I gave them the dimensions of
the finished pieces I need so I'm guessing they quoted S4S. I did not
specify quarter sawn so expect plain sawn but again the quote did not
specify. BTW, I did get back to them - politely - expressing my
surprise and looking for some clarification.

Also, I read this article which helped educate me:
http://www.westwindhardwood.com/order_art.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4 May 2007 06:08:55 -0700, Jimbo wrote:

I'm kind of price-shocked this morning. I requested pricing yesterday
for some finished (thickness planed) and for 70.3 bd. feet of white
oak was quoted CA$825 approx US$750. Are these prices outrageous or
is it just me? I'm located in Toronto, Canada.

That's high, although maybe not outrageous. Get some quotes for other
woods and see if you can get closer to $5 bf. Gasoline costs may be
the culprit here.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jimbo wrote:
I'm kind of price-shocked this morning. I requested pricing yesterday
for some finished (thickness planed) and for 70.3 bd. feet of white
oak was quoted CA$825 approx US$750. Are these prices outrageous or
is it just me? I'm located in Toronto, Canada.

My favorite dealer here in expensive Connecticut is $3.90 bd/ft for
plainsawn, and $5.95 for qsawn, 4/4, less than 100 bd/ft.

His most expensive is 8/4 qsawn @ $9.95 bd/ft.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jimbo" wrote in message
ups.com...

It is possible that I used the wrong terminology when I requested the
quote, or even left out important details - but I did admit my
inexperience in my original request . I gave them the dimensions of
the finished pieces I need so I'm guessing they quoted S4S. I did not
specify quarter sawn so expect plain sawn but again the quote did not
specify. BTW, I did get back to them - politely - expressing my
surprise and looking for some clarification.

Also, I read this article which helped educate me:
http://www.westwindhardwood.com/order_art.html

Finished sizes will cost a premium and normally stocked S4S lumber only
comes in certain sizes usually in even 2" increments in width. If they mill
a bunch of s4s at one time for inventory stock the price will be higher than
rough cut. If they have to do a special small run for a specific size that
is not in inventory the price goes up even more.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jimbo wrote:

It is possible that I used the wrong terminology when I requested the
quote, or even left out important details - but I did admit my
inexperience in my original request . I gave them the dimensions of
the finished pieces I need so I'm guessing they quoted S4S. I did not
specify quarter sawn so expect plain sawn but again the quote did not
specify.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! G

You probably aren't even getting what's referred to as s4s, but
specifically dimensioned boards. You are paying for shop labor and
materials.

Normally, s4s is when they take a rough board and make straight edges
and planed faces, leaving as much of the random sized board as possible.

If you order "1x6" or "1x4" white oak boards, they will rip a wider
board down, you will pay for the entire original board + labor for
dimensioning.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 4, 9:08 am, Jimbo wrote:
I'm kind of price-shocked this morning. I requested pricing yesterday
for some finished (thickness planed) and for 70.3 bd. feet of white
oak was quoted CA$825 approx US$750. Are these prices outrageous or
is it just me? I'm located in Toronto, Canada.

Whoa Nellie! Outrageous is the right word there.

A & M in Cambridge quotes between 5 and 7.50 Can$ bd-ft for WO.
Their 'regular' at just over 5 bucks is better than other people's
better grades.
With a drive to Cambridge, time, and taxes, you'd still be hard
pushing to get to $ 500.00...sooo that saves you $ 325.00 from that
other quote, and I take half of the savings as commission..G

Give these guys a call, they're a great bunch there. You mave heard of
Andy Poynter.. he's a furnituristic Krenovmaloofcastlefridkinda guy.

http://www.amwoodinc.com/

Check out some of these happy customers:

http://www.woodsight.net/exhibition.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

S4S 4/4 flat sawn is 3.75 bd/ft on my latest price sheet from the
Charlotte Hardwood Center in Charlotte, NC. They must be adding labor
charges to size your lumber order to the sizes that you gave them plus any
waste resulting from the added cutting. Learn a bit more about how to
specify what you want and then try a few other sources before paying that
much for it. That's well over twice what I would consider to be acceptable.
Being in Canada you should be closer to the source of native hardwoods than
I am so transportation costs should be lower too.

--
Charley

"Jimbo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm kind of price-shocked this morning. I requested pricing yesterday
for some finished (thickness planed) and for 70.3 bd. feet of white
oak was quoted CA$825 approx US$750. Are these prices outrageous or
is it just me? I'm located in Toronto, Canada.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 4, 9:08 am, Jimbo wrote:
I'm kind of price-shocked this morning. I requested pricing yesterday
for some finished (thickness planed) and for 70.3 bd. feet of white
oak was quoted CA$825 approx US$750. Are these prices outrageous or
is it just me? I'm located in Toronto, Canada.

" I'm shocked!, shocked! to find that gambling is going on here".
Captain Renault, Prefect of Police, Casablanca
Joe G

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 4, 11:17 am, GROVER wrote:
On May 4, 9:08 am, Jimbo wrote:

I'm kind of price-shocked this morning. I requested pricing yesterday
for some finished (thickness planed) and for 70.3 bd. feet of white
oak was quoted CA$825 approx US$750. Are these prices outrageous or
is it just me? I'm located in Toronto, Canada.

" I'm shocked!, shocked! to find that gambling is going on here".
Captain Renault, Prefect of Police, Casablanca
Joe G

"Round up the usual suspects!"

Posted to rec.woodworking

I would suggest calling another yard.

I have found that exotic woods in Burlington is pretty fair
http://www.exotic-woods.com/services.html

Matt

"Jimbo" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm kind of price-shocked this morning. I requested pricing yesterday
for some finished (thickness planed) and for 70.3 bd. feet of white
oak was quoted CA$825 approx US$750. Are these prices outrageous or
is it just me? I'm located in Toronto, Canada.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Try Century Lumber outside Stoufville. Amazing selection and
reasonable prices $4.75 cdn for 4/4/ red oak - rough.

http://www.centurymill.com/domestic.html#redoaksb

Cobie824

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 5, 10:37 am, Cobie824 ) wrote:
Try Century Lumber outside Stoufville. Amazing selection and
reasonable prices $4.75 cdn for 4/4/ red oak - rough.

http://www.centurymill.com/domestic.html#redoaksb

Cobie824

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final
Web @http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet

*tip of the hat* to Matt and Drew for a couple of good links. Very
useful to me and others.