Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Shocked at lumber prices

"Jimbo" wrote in message
ups.com...

It is possible that I used the wrong terminology when I requested the
quote, or even left out important details - but I did admit my
inexperience in my original request . I gave them the dimensions of
the finished pieces I need so I'm guessing they quoted S4S. I did not
specify quarter sawn so expect plain sawn but again the quote did not
specify. BTW, I did get back to them - politely - expressing my
surprise and looking for some clarification.

Also, I read this article which helped educate me:
http://www.westwindhardwood.com/order_art.html

Finished sizes will cost a premium and normally stocked S4S lumber only
comes in certain sizes usually in even 2" increments in width. If they mill
a bunch of s4s at one time for inventory stock the price will be higher than
rough cut. If they have to do a special small run for a specific size that
is not in inventory the price goes up even more.