Posted to rec.woodworking

Default table saw

Can anyone please recommend a good table saw for making somewhat
decent furniture?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"newby woodworker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone please recommend a good table saw for making somewhat
decent furniture?

There's a bunch to choose from. Depends on room , portability , whether you
want to do a lot of ripping. Average thickness of wood.
In my opinion a good blade is one important thing.
Jamffer

Posted to rec.woodworking

"newby woodworker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone please recommend a good table saw for making somewhat
decent furniture?

Do a Google search on this newsgroup. This has been discussed many times
over.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Old guy" wrote in message
Personally, I think it's important to realize that one needs a whole LOT
more than a tablesaw to make good furniture.

I'd go that one further and say that for furniture you don't need one at
all... unless you're using sheet goods. A bandsaw, or rip and cross cut
handsaws, a rip back saw and hand planes will do ya for dimensioning and
straightening an edge. ;~)

....of course having other handtools would be needed too but such would be
the case with a tablesaw too.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"newby woodworker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone please recommend a good table saw for making somewhat
decent furniture?

I've seen some really nice furniture made on a ShopSmith but it wasn't from
mine. The guy I'm thinking of was meticuous about set, calibration and
patience. Start with a price range and repost. You're likely to get a
better response. In any event, be safe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"newby woodworker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone please recommend a good table saw for making somewhat
decent furniture?

Try looking at the Grizzly tools. Good basic tools at a decent price. I
have the 1023 and find no real problems with it except it accumulates a lot
of saw dust.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"newby woodworker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone please recommend a good table saw for making somewhat
decent furniture?

Any one that cost from about $800 and up from Delta, Jet, Grizzly, General.
Many styles to choose from. Next is to get a good blade for it from Ridge
Carbide, Infinity Tools, Forrest, etc. Figure $50 to $120. You also need
some skill that has to be acquired from practice. If you don't know how to
use the saw, even a $2500 will not work well for you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"newby woodworker" wrote:

Can anyone please recommend a good table saw for making somewhat
decent furniture?

As someone else suggested, start looking around the $800 mark.

Anything less and you will be unhappy in short order.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"newby woodworker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Can anyone please recommend a good table saw for making somewhat
decent furniture?

Find a contractors saw with a cast iron top. No aluminum!!

Mine works well for me (could use a smidge more power) and I have made a
bunch of "somewhat decent furniture".

Ignore the tool snobs that think you need to drop a $K on a saw.

http://www.garagewoodworks.com/shop_workhorse.htm

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Old guy wrote:
Personally, I think it's important to realize that one needs a whole LOT
more than a tablesaw to make good furniture.

Not to mention a bit of skill.
Posted to rec.woodworking

C & E wrote:
The guy I'm thinking of was meticuous about set, calibration and
patience.

As with any other tool? G
Posted to rec.woodworking

On May 1, 4:51 pm, newby woodworker wrote:
Can anyone please recommend a good table saw for making somewhat
decent furniture?

Troll?

http://groups.google.com/group/roses...8ce6899eae42cc

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1 May 2007 13:51:29 -0700, newby woodworker
wrote:

Can anyone please recommend a good table saw for making somewhat
decent furniture?

How much $$$?
A cabinet saw is better than a contractor's saw. Look for one with a
large cast table, dust collection, heavy triunion, excellent fence.
Stay away from benchtop models (unless you are making doll furniture.)
Top of the line: PM 6 (USA) or General (Canada).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Since budget isn't an issue I'd recommend a Sawstop hands down.

newby woodworker wrote:
Can anyone please recommend a good table saw for making somewhat
decent furniture?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 01 May 2007 23:36:21 GMT, "Old guy" wrote:

Personally, I think it's important to realize that one needs a whole LOT
more than a tablesaw to make good furniture.

I think it's even more importantto realize that no matter how many
tools you have, it takes skill and experience to make good furniture,
just having the tools won't do it. Expecting to magically create
something wonderful right out of the gate is just setting yourself up
for disappointment. It won't happen.
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote in news:Sh_Zh.4823$uJ6.2457
@newssvr17.news.prodigy.net:

C & E wrote:
The guy I'm thinking of was meticuous about set, calibration and
patience.

As with any other tool? G

Actually, with a Shopsmith, more so...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
Since budget isn't an issue I'd recommend a Sawstop hands down.

With any saw, you have to watch where you put your hands down.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Mike Berger" wrote in message
Since budget isn't an issue I'd recommend a Sawstop hands down.

With any saw, you have to watch where you put your hands down.

Not on a seesaw.

--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Stoutman wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
"Mike Berger" wrote in message
Since budget isn't an issue I'd recommend a Sawstop hands down.

With any saw, you have to watch where you put your hands down.

Not on a seesaw.

You've never seen someone hold on to the seat behind them while riding?
They only did it once though.
Joe