Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bird Cutterhead

I was reading a older post about the spiral Cutterhead for jointers.

I bought a Bird 6" about a year ago, and will never go back to a
regular Cutterhead again. I use birds eye maple, and other figured
woods allot, and have yet to have a tea rout. One asked if you might
have to shim the bearing, to level it to the out feed table, i did
only by 2 sheets of telephone book paper. Some of the better machines
are adjustable side to side, but not mine. Even big ugly knots finish
of beautifully, thanks to the carbide knifes. Another plus is that
there are four sharp sides to each cutter, just rotate when they dull,
nine has 52 in total I think. And trust me they are SHARP!!!!!! Use
gloves when you install it. The whole conversion only took thirty
minuets on a grizzly machine. Oh one more thing, you can face plane
6" wood with VERY little hold down pressure. For me the cost is well
worth it.

See Ya Lee Tollett
Posted to rec.woodworking

I recently bought a Grizzly 593 , that comes with an 8" spiral cutterhead. I
agree the finish is great & I would not want to go back to a regular cutter
head either. Add to that the speed at which you can change the blades,
something I hated devoting shop time to.