Steve Knight

Default Check out what my new joitner cutterhead can do.

how's this for a clean cut?
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/maple.jpg
this is a Byrd carbide cutterhead by the way on my 6" jointer.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...cs/cutter3.jpg

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Philski

Steve Knight wrote:
how's this for a clean cut?
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/maple.jpg
this is a Byrd carbide cutterhead by the way on my 6" jointer.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...cs/cutter3.jpg

Awesome...That is a beautiful slice-O-wood!

I wish I had a joitner that could do that!!!

Philski
Robatoy

In article ,
Steve Knight wrote:

how's this for a clean cut?
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/maple.jpg
this is a Byrd carbide cutterhead by the way on my 6" jointer.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...cs/cutter3.jpg

Astounding, Steve. How thin a flitch will it do at that quality?

It must thrust the material laterally against the fence as well, eh?
Will the inserts index themselves when rotated? Or does it go back to
the manufacturer for an insert change?

Rob
Steve Knight

Awesome...That is a beautiful slice-O-wood!

I wish I had a joitner that could do that!!!

it only costs 370.00 (G) or only 195 for a hand powered jointer.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Woodcrafter

how's this for a clean cut?
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/maple.jpg
this is a Byrd carbide cutterhead by the way on my 6" jointer.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...cs/cutter3.jpg

Forget the jointer, gimme that wood! :-)
Nice cuts btw!

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor,
Online Tool Reviews
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Latest 6 Reviews:
- Delta SS250 Scroll Saw (Review Updated)
- Porter Cable FR350A Framing Nailer
- WoodHaven Biscuit Master
- Veritas Saddle Square
- EZ Smart Guide System
- Incra V27 Miter Gauge

Gerald Ross

Steve Knight wrote:
how's this for a clean cut?
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/maple.jpg
this is a Byrd carbide cutterhead by the way on my 6" jointer.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...cs/cutter3.jpg

It wrinkled up that maple, now you're going to have to iron it.
Looks good, though.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

If rabbits feet are so lucky, what
happened to the rabbit?

Gerald Ross wrote:
Steve Knight wrote:
how's this for a clean cut?
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/maple.jpg
this is a Byrd carbide cutterhead by the way on my 6" jointer.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...cs/cutter3.jpg

It wrinkled up that maple, now you're going to have to iron it.
Looks good, though.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

If rabbits feet are so lucky, what
happened to the rabbit?

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups

=----

So! after you iron the wrinkles off the maple does it become ironwood?

Dave in Fairfax

Steve Knight wrote:
how's this for a clean cut?

Abso-freakin' gorgeous! Better show it to Mekon, tell him it's
bleached cherry. %-)

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
DJ Delorie

Steve Knight writes:
how's this for a clean cut?

In that picture I can see lines parallel to the long edges. Are they
noticable in real life too? My griz spiral does that, but they're
only noticable when looking at the right angle in a favorable light.
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:28:05 -0700, Steve Knight wrote:
how's this for a clean cut?
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/maple.jpg
this is a Byrd carbide cutterhead by the way on my 6" jointer.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...cs/cutter3.jpg

Loverly. OK, show of hands, who else went up and looked at the
whole directory of pics?

Steve Knight

In that picture I can see lines parallel to the long edges. Are they
noticable in real life too? My griz spiral does that, but they're
only noticable when looking at the right angle in a favorable light.

yes it does like a hand planed surface. not really a issue though.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

It must thrust the material laterally against the fence as well, eh?
Will the inserts index themselves when rotated? Or does it go back to
the manufacturer for an insert change?

no sideways pressure. it cuts a bit slow compared to regular knives though.
they index on their own. a 1/4 turn and you have a fresh surface again.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Patrick Conroy

Dave Hinz wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 20:28:05 -0700, Steve Knight wrote:

Loverly. OK, show of hands, who else went up and looked at the
whole directory of pics?

Hand up...
I was intrigued by the Garrett Hack letter.
TaskMule

"Steve Knight" wrote in message

In that picture I can see lines parallel to the long edges. Are they
noticable in real life too? My griz spiral does that, but they're
only noticable when looking at the right angle in a favorable light.

yes it does like a hand planed surface. not really a issue though.

So if it does leave small lines then the surface must be sanded, so what's
the advantage of this cutterhead?

SonomaProducts.com

Could you please send me that piece of Maple so I can look at the
jointer finish a little closer?

BW

Steve Knight

So if it does leave small lines then the surface must be sanded, so what's
the advantage of this cutterhead?

and a regular head leaves ripples. because it cuts without tearout and lasts a
log time between rotating the cutters. plus it does endgrain great. Plus it is
very easy to change the cutters. You don't have to re setup your machine.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:52:27 -0500, Mike wrote:

Steve, are you going to offer a spiral cutterhead in your planes?

gonna be hard to mount the motor (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Steve Knight

On 21 Apr 2005 12:55:52 -0700, "SonomaProducts.com" wrote:

Could you please send me that piece of Maple so I can look at the
jointer finish a little closer?

I don't think I have seen a cooler piece of maple. though it is almost wasted on
a plane as the grain does not show as well on smaller things.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Prometheus

wrote:

how's this for a clean cut?
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_temp_pics/maple.jpg
this is a Byrd carbide cutterhead by the way on my 6" jointer.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/web_...cs/cutter3.jpg

Hey now, wait a minute... you make planes... Why in the heck you do
you have a jointer?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
TaskMule

wrote:

Could you please send me that piece of Maple so I can look at the
jointer finish a little closer?

I don't think I have seen a cooler piece of maple. though it is almost

wasted on
a plane as the grain does not show as well on smaller things.

It's certainly worthy of slicing into veneer

Steve Knight

Hey now, wait a minute... you make planes... Why in the heck you do
you have a jointer?

if you want to come hand joint all my tropicals feel free to volunteer (G)you
will look like Popeye after a bit (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Prometheus

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:54:11 -0700, Steve Knight
wrote:

Hey now, wait a minute... you make planes... Why in the heck you do
you have a jointer?

if you want to come hand joint all my tropicals feel free to volunteer (G)you
will look like Popeye after a bit (G)

Nah, that's ok... I hand planed my workbench top, and my elbows ached
for days. Besides, how is hand jointing tropicals going to make me
squint one eye and smoke a pipe?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

J. Clarke

wrote:

Hey now, wait a minute... you make planes... Why in the heck you do
you have a jointer?

if you want to come hand joint all my tropicals feel free to volunteer
(G)you will look like Popeye after a bit (G)

Nah, that's ok... I hand planed my workbench top, and my elbows ached
for days. Besides, how is hand jointing tropicals going to make me
squint one eye and smoke a pipe?

Amazing what the resins that creep out of those exotics will do to you,
isn't it?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Prometheus

wrote:

Hey now, wait a minute... you make planes... Why in the heck you do
you have a jointer?

if you want to come hand joint all my tropicals feel free to volunteer
(G)you will look like Popeye after a bit (G)

Nah, that's ok... I hand planed my workbench top, and my elbows ached
for days. Besides, how is hand jointing tropicals going to make me
squint one eye and smoke a pipe?

Amazing what the resins that creep out of those exotics will do to you,
isn't it?

Ahhh..guk,guk,guk,guk!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

What does Commisioning an oil fired boiler involve. Lawrence UK diy 5 November 1st 15 11:57 AM
How do I check for damp? Purple UK diy 5 February 20th 05 08:30 PM
Check these out great prices and info. Shabtai Evan Metalworking 0 February 20th 05 12:34 AM
Freezer - what to check before resorting to repair man - advice needed Nigel UK diy 1 September 10th 03 10:48 PM
single check valve pressure drop Matthew Barnard UK diy 1 July 24th 03 08:00 PM