Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Marine Plywood in Toronto?

I'm just west of Toronto and I'm looking for a source of Marine Plywood.
Exotic woods looks decent, but spendy.

Also WTH am I looking for? I see all kinds of cores and plys. Any brands to
avoid? This is for small a water wheel BTW, so it won't be submersed, but
will be wet most of the time. I only need the one sheet of 3/4".

Posted to rec.woodworking

The closest place for you to get marine plywood in Toronto is
http://www.noahsmarine.com/

My personnel choice for a small water wheel would be to use solid wood like
cedar, tamarack or hemlock even white eastern pine. My second would to use
Canadian made exterior plywood impregnated with two parts epoxy and painted
with UV protected spar vanish or paint.

All plywood made in Canada is done with waterproof bonding agent.
Its the quality of the wood and the voids that you have to watch.
Lots of plywood on sale in Canada is coming from China and sold at bargain
price.
Not that China cannot make good plywood its just that they are producing it
to meet the buyer's offered price.

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I'm just west of Toronto and I'm looking for a source of Marine Plywood.
Exotic woods looks decent, but spendy.

Also WTH am I looking for? I see all kinds of cores and plys. Any brands
to avoid? This is for small a water wheel BTW, so it won't be submersed,
but will be wet most of the time. I only need the one sheet of 3/4".

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
The closest place for you to get marine plywood in Toronto is
http://www.noahsmarine.com/

My personnel choice for a small water wheel would be to use solid wood
like cedar, tamarack or hemlock even white eastern pine. My second would
to use Canadian made exterior plywood impregnated with two parts epoxy and
painted with UV protected spar vanish or paint.

All plywood made in Canada is done with waterproof bonding agent.
Its the quality of the wood and the voids that you have to watch.
Lots of plywood on sale in Canada is coming from China and sold at bargain
price.
Not that China cannot make good plywood its just that they are producing
it to meet the buyer's offered price.

Thanks, I've heard of these guys, but did not realize they were so close.

The plans I have call for the outer wheel to be plywood, the hub to be
plywood and the spokes/paddles to be solid wood. But given the size, it
doesn't make a lot of sense not to make the sides all one piece. It will be
simpler and cheaper, although perhaps a little less authentic. The buckets
will be solid wood and the finish will likely be epoxy, as it has to be fish
safe.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Stock wrote:

Thanks, I've heard of these guys, but did not realize they were so

close.

The plans I have call for the outer wheel to be plywood, the hub to be
plywood and the spokes/paddles to be solid wood. But given the

size, it
doesn't make a lot of sense not to make the sides all one piece. It

will be
simpler and cheaper, although perhaps a little less authentic. The

buckets
will be solid wood and the finish will likely be epoxy, as it has

to be fish
safe.

SFWIW, marine grade ply for this application is a waste of good marine
ply.

Marine ply has no voids and thus can be bent to conform to a smooth curve.

That is not your application.

A good exterior grade ply (not Chinese) along with solid wood will do
a good job.

If you can find 13 ply with exterior glue, so much the better.

You can seal the wood with epoxy; HOWEVER, if this wheel is outdoors
you will need to protect the epoxy from the sun's UV with a varnish
containing UV inhibitors.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

You can seal the wood with epoxy; HOWEVER, if this wheel is outdoors
you will need to protect the epoxy from the sun's UV with a varnish
containing UV inhibitors.

Lew

Will varnish stick to epoxy? Would it be any kind of varnish? Poly?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

Will varnish stick to epoxy? Would it be any kind of varnish? Poly?

Of course; however, a word of caution.

Some epoxies leave an amine blush on the surface after curing.

It can be washed off with water and a ScotchBrite scrubber.

Personally, I sand with 60 grit between coats of epoxy to level things
out and don't worry about it.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
link.net...
Robatoy wrote:

Will varnish stick to epoxy? Would it be any kind of varnish? Poly?

Of course; however, a word of caution.

Some epoxies leave an amine blush on the surface after curing.

It can be washed off with water and a ScotchBrite scrubber.

Personally, I sand with 60 grit between coats of epoxy to level things out
and don't worry about it.

Lew

I sounds like you have build boats before.
When you say you don't worry about it do you mean the amine blush or the UV
protection?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Lew: How about something like this for paint?

"Bill Stock" wrote in message
I'm just west of Toronto and I'm looking for a source of Marine Plywood.
Exotic woods looks decent, but spendy.

Also WTH am I looking for? I see all kinds of cores and plys. Any brands
to avoid? This is for small a water wheel BTW, so it won't be submersed,
but will be wet most of the time. I only need the one sheet of 3/4".

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...+-+Water-borne

I know it's not meant for under water use, but the water won't actually be
under the water.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill Stock wrote:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...+-+Water-borne

I know it's not meant for under water use, but the water won't actually be
under the water.

You are in the high cotton now.

System 3 makes good stuff (I have bought lots of drums of their stuff)
and Jamestown Distributors has a good inventory of of 316 S/S as well
as silicon bronze fasteners.

Why not go to the S3 web site and talk with their tech bunch.

I forget the name of the guy who heads up the tech group, but he is good.

I'd probably use an epoxy high build primer to seal the plywood under
whatever S3 suggests.

Might want to give some thought to making the buckets, paddles,
whatever you call them from redwood, cypress, etc, water tolerant
wood, left natural.

After all, they have had waterwheels operating long before epoxy came
along.

Have fun.

Lew

marine plywood bathroom jane UK diy 6 September 29th 06 08:59 PM
Marine plywood source Scott Cramer Woodworking 6 August 14th 06 02:23 AM
"Marine Grade" plywood Jay Pique Woodworking 7 July 27th 05 04:06 PM
Marine plywood question J & K Tomalonis Woodworking 6 February 11th 05 07:00 PM