Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Installing Hardwood Flooring

Hello,

My name is Bill and this is my first post. I live in So California
and am interested in installing a bordered hardwood floor. I love
the old floors with a border and walnut strips. I am looking for info
on how this is done. Can it be done with engineered flooring. Can
anyone steer me to a resource (book or course) that will teach me this
type of installation?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill,
I have done many an "advanced" home project. I have always started
with my local library. It is a wonderful source of basic information on a
wide range of topics. Some libraries will have VHS or DVD's on topics such
as floor installation. Best of all, the cost of these materials is already
paid for ( By you and me of Course)
Paul

"BillVila" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

My name is Bill and this is my first post. I live in So California
and am interested in installing a bordered hardwood floor. I love
the old floors with a border and walnut strips. I am looking for info
on how this is done. Can it be done with engineered flooring. Can
anyone steer me to a resource (book or course) that will teach me this
type of installation?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill-

I bordered our 3/4"x2-1/4" T&G red oak flooring with 1x6 oak boards, inlaid
with 3/16"x1-1/8" strips, mitered at the corners, grooved for splines, and
screwed & glued with construction adhesive to the subfloor. The T&G
flooring was nailed over tarpaper as usual and splined to the border. I
think I used construction adhesive where the flooring board ends splined to
the borders.

The 1-1/8" wide inlay strips consist of 3/16" of teak, 3/4" South American
walnut, and another 3/16" teak. I glued wide pieces of 3/16" teak and 3/4"
walnut together as a sandwich, sliced off 3/16" thick strips, and glued them
into 3/16"x1-1/8" rabbits cut into the border boards. I used Weldwood
plastic resin glue because of the teak, but I think Titebond would've done
just fine after wiping the teak with lacquer thinner.

You can just barely see the border in a couple of photos at
http://plumpe.home.mindspring.com/inlay.html

-Dave
--
http://plumpe.home.mindspring.com