Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bandsaw

Anybody need a LARGE bandsaw?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/tls/313758505.html

Not affiliated with in any way.

mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark S wrote:

Anybody need a LARGE bandsaw?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/tls/313758505.html

Not affiliated with in any way.

There's a place here in Cincinnati called C. W. Wood Machinery that
sells new and used machinery. Despite the name, it's mostly
metalworking tools. (Named after its founder) I go there
occasionally just to sightsee. There's a huge lathe the the
diameter of the chuck is the length of my arm, roughly 2.5 feet,
maybe a little less. The bed is around 30 feet. I'm not sure what
it was used to make. Airplane parts, maybe.

Some big bandsaws there, too. I laughed at the sign on one of them.
I don't remember how many wheels it had or how big they were, but it
was about 8 feet tall and at least 6 feet wide, and probably weighed
as much as a small car. Maybe more, as it was mostly solid steel.
The sign over the table said "Watch your fingers". Ya think?

(In case you're interested, here's the URL: http://www.cwwood.com/ )
Posted to rec.woodworking

darkon wrote:

There's a place here in Cincinnati called C. W. Wood Machinery that
sells new and used machinery. Despite the name, it's mostly
metalworking tools. (Named after its founder) I go there
occasionally just to sightsee. There's a huge lathe the the
diameter of the chuck is the length of my arm, roughly 2.5 feet,
maybe a little less. The bed is around 30 feet. I'm not sure what
it was used to make. Airplane parts, maybe.

Probably a gun lathe.

Some big bandsaws there, too. I laughed at the sign on one of them.
I don't remember how many wheels it had or how big they were, but it
was about 8 feet tall and at least 6 feet wide, and probably weighed
as much as a small car. Maybe more, as it was mostly solid steel.
The sign over the table said "Watch your fingers". Ya think?

At one time Cincinnati Millicron was the largest machine tool builder
in the country, and there were several other machine tool builders in
the area.

Don't have a clue if they are still in business.

If they are, and you can get invited for a tour, it is an absolutely
amazing place.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"darkon" wrote in message
Mark S wrote:

snip

There's a place here in Cincinnati called C. W. Wood Machinery that
sells new and used machinery. Despite the name, it's mostly
metalworking tools. (Named after its founder) I go there
occasionally just to sightsee. There's a huge lathe the the
diameter of the chuck is the length of my arm, roughly 2.5 feet,
maybe a little less. The bed is around 30 feet. I'm not sure what
it was used to make. Airplane parts, maybe.

Some big bandsaws there, too. I laughed at the sign on one of them.
I don't remember how many wheels it had or how big they were, but it
was about 8 feet tall and at least 6 feet wide, and probably weighed
as much as a small car. Maybe more, as it was mostly solid steel.
The sign over the table said "Watch your fingers". Ya think?

(In case you're interested, here's the URL: http://www.cwwood.com/ )

Have you ever seen the bandsaw at Mystic Seaport? The blade and frame
rotates to make angled cuts. It is huge.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark S" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody need a LARGE bandsaw?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/tls/313758505.html

Not affiliated with in any way.

mark

That is a really strange saw as it's capacity appears to me no more than the
common 14" band saw.
Notice that the blade goes around the upper and lower wheels and not around
the throat.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" writes:

"Mark S" wrote in message
oups.com...
Anybody need a LARGE bandsaw?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/tls/313758505.html

Not affiliated with in any way.

mark

That is a really strange saw as it's capacity appears to me no more than the
common 14" band saw.
Notice that the blade goes around the upper and lower wheels and not around
the throat.

Perhaps if one or two more wheels were used/added, you can have a 8 foot wide throat?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

That is a really strange saw as it's capacity appears to me no more than the
common 14" band saw.
Notice that the blade goes around the upper and lower wheels and not around
the throat.

Note that there is an unused idler wheel on the upright. And a stack of
wheels sitting just at the riser. I see the cover plate ... but I don't
see any mounting studs for it. It's got a mighty small table for suck a
big throat. Something here looks odd to me.

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000735-2, 04/23/2007
Tested on: 4/24/2007 3:09:11 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill in Detroit wrote:
Leon wrote:

That is a really strange saw as it's capacity appears to me no more
than the common 14" band saw.
Notice that the blade goes around the upper and lower wheels and not
around the throat.

Note that there is an unused idler wheel on the upright. And a stack of
wheels sitting just at the riser. I see the cover plate ... but I don't
see any mounting studs for it. It's got a mighty small table for suck a
big throat. Something here looks odd to me.

Bill

Ahem ... "such a big throat"

Bill

--
http://nmwoodworks.com/cube

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000735-2, 04/23/2007
Tested on: 4/24/2007 4:06:27 AM

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill in Detroit wrote:
Bill in Detroit wrote:

Leon wrote:

That is a really strange saw as it's capacity appears to me no more
than the common 14" band saw.
Notice that the blade goes around the upper and lower wheels and not
around the throat.

Note that there is an unused idler wheel on the upright. And a stack
of wheels sitting just at the riser. I see the cover plate ... but I
don't see any mounting studs for it. It's got a mighty small table for
suck a big throat. Something here looks odd to me.

Bill

Ahem ... "such a big throat"

Bill

Ummmm. I think you mean "Deep Throat". ?
sorry,
jo4hn

HF bandsaw??? Jimmy Woodworking 6 October 2nd 06 06:42 PM
TuffTooth vs Timber Wolf bandsaw bandsaw comparision Paul Currie Woodworking 0 January 30th 06 11:17 PM
my new old bandsaw Billy Woodworking 0 January 2nd 06 10:56 PM
17 bandsaw Bradford Chaucer Woodturning 4 December 25th 05 04:06 PM
bandsaw almost 14" Dave Chamberlain Woodworking 5 May 8th 05 04:47 AM