Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HF bandsaw???

Asking for a friend who seems to be hooked on harbor freight tools. He's
looking at the bandsaw, wants to know if anyone owns one, how good it is and
about getting a riser block for it. I have nothing against HF, even own the
dust collector and a brad nailer, both work great, but he won't consider any
other saw till he finds out about this one. Any and all comments welcome.
Thanks
Jimmy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jimmy" wrote in message
et...
Asking for a friend who seems to be hooked on harbor freight tools. He's
looking at the bandsaw, wants to know if anyone owns one, how good it is
and about getting a riser block for it. I have nothing against HF, even
own the dust collector and a brad nailer, both work great, but he won't
consider any other saw till he finds out about this one. Any and all
comments welcome.
Thanks
Jimmy

I have the 14", 4 speed, w/ riser block. Got it second hand, but still in
the box. Added Kreg's fence, and Cool Blocks. Scraped the blade that
comes with it. It works just fine. Holds adjustments.

Was making a jig, mismeasure, miscut, misfigured, but off center line by
.055", cut a shim .022" X 3 X 10. .022 top, .023 bottom.
BUT be careful HF QC is a bit spotty, Inspect any electrical tool before
buying.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jimmy" wrote in message
et...
Asking for a friend who seems to be hooked on harbor freight tools. He's
looking at the bandsaw, wants to know if anyone owns one, how good it is
and about getting a riser block for it. I have nothing against HF, even
own the dust collector and a brad nailer, both work great, but he won't
consider any other saw till he finds out about this one. Any and all
comments welcome.
Thanks
Jimmy

Had one, returned it, will not buy any power tools from HF again

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jimmy wrote:

Asking for a friend who seems to be hooked on harbor freight tools. He's
looking at the bandsaw, wants to know if anyone owns one, how good it is
and about getting a riser block for it. I have nothing against HF, even
own the dust collector and a brad nailer, both work great, but he won't
consider any other saw till he finds out about this one. Any and all
comments welcome.
Thanks
Jimmy

I have had one for about four years, with riser block (which they quit
selling for awhile, but think they have resumed sales) Agree with Rick,
throw the blade away and get a quality blade, cool blocks (or roller
blocks) and you will be good to go.

The only problem I have had with it was in setup. I did not get the drive
belts tight enough and it seemed not to have any power. Once I tightened
them up it worked like a charm.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 22:34:47 -0500, "Dr. Deb" wrote:

I have had one for about four years, with riser block (which they quit
selling for awhile, but think they have resumed sales) Agree with Rick,
throw the blade away and get a quality blade, cool blocks (or roller
blocks) and you will be good to go.

The only problem I have had with it was in setup. I did not get the drive
belts tight enough and it seemed not to have any power. Once I tightened
them up it worked like a charm.

Deb

You might try putting a link belt on it...
I put one on my Ridgid BS and it became a lot quieter and easier to fine tune
the adjustment..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking

hello,

I have one, with raiser block and am happy with it.
get the roler rockers ($13 or so, a great deal), and get a new blade. the
ones they give are just pure crap...
also, pay attention to the tire plastic thingy on the weels, mine are not
good and cause issue with small blades (1/8 and smaller)... but is no
problem with larger blades.

cyrille

"Jimmy" wrote in message
et...
Asking for a friend who seems to be hooked on harbor freight tools. He's
looking at the bandsaw, wants to know if anyone owns one, how good it is
and about getting a riser block for it. I have nothing against HF, even
own the dust collector and a brad nailer, both work great, but he won't
consider any other saw till he finds out about this one. Any and all
comments welcome.
Thanks
Jimmy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 21:55:58 +0000, Jimmy wrote:

Asking for a friend who seems to be hooked on harbor freight tools. He's
looking at the bandsaw, wants to know if anyone owns one, how good it is and
about getting a riser block for it. I have nothing against HF, even own the
dust collector and a brad nailer, both work great, but he won't consider any
other saw till he finds out about this one. Any and all comments welcome.
Thanks
Jimmy

I own one with riser block & rollers. It's a good saw for the buck ... no
regrets here.

Could use better dust collection ... but he can probably rig something up
from the parts in the Woodcraft or Rockler DC bins and a pair of tin snips.

On of these days I intend to rig a 4" duct with an elbow (for operator
clearance) to the bottom door. But that's probably well into the future.

I'm contemplating getting a stronger blade tension spring and one of those
quick-release doo-hickeys to help with resawing larger logs and to
overcome my tendency to walk away without releasing the tension 'cause
it's such a pain to have to retighten at each use. (I use mine very
briefly several times a week.)

Bill

Easy Metal cutting bandsaw JonJonJon Metalworking 5 April 17th 06 06:22 PM
Jet JBS-14 Bandsaw Woodworking 0 February 9th 06 05:13 AM
Bandsaw review Bill Schwab Metalworking 0 January 24th 06 06:38 AM
Maloof: “Then I just cut ________ on the bandsaw charlie b Woodworking 12 November 16th 03 04:53 PM
Bandsaw Box... jim Woodworking 8 November 1st 03 05:07 PM