Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Festool DOMINO - First cut at some web pages on it

Probably should wait to post these URLs but I figure there are some
Tool Phreaks out there who want "hot off the press" stuff. Note
that I'll be changing things as I refine the info and the URLs may
change for some of the pages - but The DOMINO INDEX page URL
will remain the same. So here's that Index page URL

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/DOMINO/DOMINO_0.html

Here are the URLs for two illustrations of the "presets" on
the DOMINO. The first gives you the Tenon sizes and mortise
width options.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/D...tiseWidth.html

This one illustrates the preset options for mortise offsets
from a Reference Edge.

http://web.hypersurf.com/~charlie2/D...geOffsets.html

These are First Cuts at my attempt to show what the DOMINO
can do - with preset options. If you have comments, suggestions,
questions or constructive criticism - fire away.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie - I would just like to take a minute and let you know how
impressed I am with your continuous, informative, and highly detailed
posts. While many are content to peruse this group or only post
sarcastic, ironic remarks, or make minor corrections to the posts of
others, you are a source of wonderment to me. I am not kidding... how
in the hell do you find the time to do all the cad work, take the
pictures, write the review, sort it out, and post it on your site all
in good order?

I hope you have emailed your posts the Festool folks - that is a
helluva lot more information in one place on that tool than I have
ever seen.

Good job.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Charlie - I would just like to take a minute and let you know how
impressed I am with your continuous, informative, and highly detailed
posts.

I do this stuff for myself. In the process I develop a much better
understanding of both the How and the Why of a process, technique
or tool. When I'm done, the time and effort to put it up on a
web page or two, or ten, isn't negligible. If the info gets someone
to try something they didn't think they could do, or helps in a
tool purchase decision - well that's icing on the cake.

While many are content to peruse this group or only post
sarcastic, ironic remarks, or make minor corrections to the posts of
others, you are a source of wonderment to me.

I'm blessed or cursed with "dry mouth" so I tend to avoid
spitting contests. And I'd much prefer to use humor, often
at my own expense rather than venom.

I am not kidding... how
in the hell do you find the time to do all the cad work, take the
pictures, write the review, sort it out, and post it on your site all
in good order?

Caffiene via good old Classic Coca Cola, a touch of hypoglycemia
and a heaping helping of sleep deprivation - you'd be amazed
what you can do in 24 hours. If you're a puzzle phreak and
like to figure things out, exploring the DOMINO's capabilities
and documenting them for future use is a dream come true.
This thing incorporates, integrates and improves several
existing functions found on other machines - then adds a new
capability. Figuring out what the specific capabilities are,
how they're set and their results - then illustrating them is
interesting and kind of fun.

I hope you have emailed your posts the Festool folks - that is a
helluva lot more information in one place on that tool than I have
ever seen.

To avoid duplicating info on the DOMINO, I've been looking at what's
already on the web. I really should drop the "What Do You Get"
packages stuff and concentrate on What It Does and How You
Do That information. I'm studying Festool's selection of presets
and trying to figure out why they went with the presets they
used because I suspect there are more capabilities than meets
the eye and specific applications the tool has presets for.

After I've worked out in my mind (and on "paper") What Does What
and How Do I Do That I'll make some samples in wood - with labels
and titles etc. then try and find a good home for them so I can
find the suckers when I need them. Theoreticals are nice - but
a real world sample is better. First think it out, then make the
samples - saving some wood for a real world project using this
puppy.

Still have the Angled Mortise concept to understand. The
Angle part is easy. Where the angled mortise is cut is
going to be the fun part.

Good job.
Robert

Thanks. And if you find some ambiguity, or something left out
- or an error - please let me know, either here or by private
e-mail (yes, I use my real e-mail address). That way the info
can be improved and I and anyone else interested may be
able to get more use out of this oddly familiar but totally
different tool.

charlie b

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Nice start Charley.

What are you using for chip collection?

Wanna take a guess?

Right

- the Festool CT22 (the medium sized one).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

Nice start Charley.

What are you using for chip collection?

Wanna take a guess?

Right

- the Festool CT22 (the medium sized one).

Did you buy the vac at the same time or did you already have it? How do
you like it, and or does it have any features that you like in particular
other than being quiet?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 19, 8:24 am, "Leon" wrote:
"charlieb" wrote in message

Leon wrote:

Nice start Charley.

What are you using for chip collection?

Wanna take a guess?

Right

- the Festool CT22 (the medium sized one).

Did you buy the vac at the same time or did you already have it? How do
you like it, and or does it have any features that you like in particular
other than being quiet?

I run both a ct22 and Fein Turbo II pretty much every day. As far as
pure vacuum power, the Fein holds more and (for me at least) and the
bags are cheaper. The Fein's by-pass cooling for the motor keeps it
cool and quiet. The Fein is also a wet-vac. All around, the Fein feels
more industrial.....to me.
When clean, they both suck pretty much as hard as each other..at the
end of the day the Fein wins out in the shop. It's not as sexy as the
Festool.
My 2 1/2" hose from my Shopvac fits on my Fein.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

Did you buy the vac at the same time or did you already have it?

This is getting embarassing. I already had it. BUT - I did get
it
in a package deal - with the Festool Barrel Grip Saber Saw.
More embarassment - sounds like another Neener. "Needed"
the saber saw for one my youngest's projects - a massive
black walnut coffee table he wanted a rectangular hole in
the top for a "Tea Candle Insert Box" - his girl friends idea/
demand.

How do
you like it, and or does it have any features that you like in particular
other than being quiet?

It's quiet, sucks a LOT of air, has the option of either manual
on/off or controlled by the power tool plugged into it. Wheels
are big enough to not get stopped by a pit in the shop floor or
a thick rug. There's a lever on the back that dislodges fine
dust
from the HEPA filters inside (no need to open the thing up and
loosen the fine dust). The clincher was that you can stack AND
LOCK Systainers on top of it and be able to roll a "system"
around. No need for a cart - assuming you don't try to stack
ALL the Festool "system" stuff on it. (FEIN - are you listening?)

Robatoy wrote:

I run both a ct22 and Fein Turbo II pretty much every day. As far as
pure vacuum power, the Fein holds more and (for me at least) and the
bags are cheaper. The Fein's by-pass cooling for the motor keeps it
cool and quiet. The Fein is also a wet-vac. All around, the Fein feels
more industrial.....to me.

The Festool units is also wet/dry - but you need an insert and have
to remove the HEPA filters if you’re going to suck up water.

Don’t know if the Fein has a spring loaded cover for the electrical
outlet on the unit but the Festool units do. Not good to get crap
in an electrical outlet (few hand tools come with a dust port)

When clean, they both suck pretty much as hard as each other..at the
end of the day the Fein wins out in the shop. It's not as sexy as the
Festool.

The words “sexy” and “power tool” should NEVER go together.
“Awesome” (though not “TOTALLY awesome) all the way to
“Elegant” are appropriate - “sexy” - NOT!

My 2 1/2" hose from my Shopvac fits on my Fein.

I found the ShopVac hose to be a PITA on a Dewalt ROS or
the PC circular saw. The “corrigations” are deeper than on
the Festool and when they hang on the edge of the stock
I’m sanding, or sawing, pull the hose off the tools dust port
connection. Happens MUCH less often with the smaller
Festool hose - which seems to be more flexible as well.
It’s subtle little things that make the Festool stuff a
pleasure to use (or at least not a PITA).

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlieb" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

Did you buy the vac at the same time or did you already have it?

This is getting embarassing. I already had it. BUT - I did get
it
in a package deal - with the Festool Barrel Grip Saber Saw.
More embarassment - sounds like another Neener. "Needed"
the saber saw for one my youngest's projects - a massive
black walnut coffee table he wanted a rectangular hole in
the top for a "Tea Candle Insert Box" - his girl friends idea/
demand.

Hey don't be embarrased by what you can afford. I am tired of not having
what I want and I ain't getting any younger. I have gone kinda wild in the
last 18 months also. Lets see, Stationary Delta planer, Dust Collector,
Laguna BS, 22/24 Performax drum sander, 12" Disk sander, Framing nail gun,
Pinner, Grippers,,.......

It's quiet, sucks a LOT of air, has the option of either manual
on/off or controlled by the power tool plugged into it. Wheels
are big enough to not get stopped by a pit in the shop floor or
a thick rug. There's a lever on the back that dislodges fine
dust
from the HEPA filters inside (no need to open the thing up and
loosen the fine dust). The clincher was that you can stack AND
LOCK Systainers on top of it and be able to roll a "system"
around. No need for a cart - assuming you don't try to stack
ALL the Festool "system" stuff on it. (FEIN - are you listening?)

I like the stackable feature, less floor space wasted and that is an asset
that is shrinking.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I run both a ct22 and Fein Turbo II pretty much every day. As far as
pure vacuum power, the Fein holds more and (for me at least) and the
bags are cheaper. The Fein's by-pass cooling for the motor keeps it
cool and quiet. The Fein is also a wet-vac. All around, the Fein feels
more industrial.....to me.
When clean, they both suck pretty much as hard as each other..at the
end of the day the Fein wins out in the shop. It's not as sexy as the
Festool.
My 2 1/2" hose from my Shopvac fits on my Fein.

Good to know. I'll have to reconsider the Fein when that day comes. ;~) I
have a Craftsman shop vac that works great but I am not going to listen to
it any more and I hate to empty that 16 gal container. Bags would be nice.