Posted to rec.woodworking

Default "Modular" woodworking equipment

A few years ago, possibly, I recall seeing a table saw and a drill
press that used removable tools instead of fixed units. For example,
the table saw used a circular saw. The problem is, I have no idea who
makes it. Can any one shed some light on who might make these and if
they're any good?

Posted to rec.woodworking

A few years ago, possibly, I recall seeing a table saw and a drill
press that used removable tools instead of fixed units. For example,
the table saw used a circular saw. The problem is, I have no idea who
makes it. Can any one shed some light on who might make these and if
they're any good?

I vaguely remember hearing that Skil makes (or used to make) something
like that. It might work fine for basic use, but it seems like the
benefits of drill presses and table saws are the strength and
precision that come from heavy, solid tools in which the bit/blade is
solidly anchored at a fixed spot. A modular system like you describe
would most likely not offer those benefits. Pure conjecture, based on
my limited experience with tools that seem too good (or too cheap) to
be true.
Good luck,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy wrote:

A few years ago, possibly, I recall seeing a table saw and a drill
press that used removable tools instead of fixed units. For example,
the table saw used a circular saw. The problem is, I have no idea
who makes it. Can any one shed some light on who might make these
and if they're any good?

I vaguely remember hearing that Skil makes (or used to make) something
like that. It might work fine for basic use, but it seems like the
benefits of drill presses and table saws are the strength and
precision that come from heavy, solid tools in which the bit/blade is
solidly anchored at a fixed spot. A modular system like you describe
would most likely not offer those benefits. Pure conjecture, based on
my limited experience with tools that seem too good (or too cheap) to
be true.

Can't remember if it was Skil or B&D, but last seen by me being closed
out for pennies on the dollar at Lowes - and Real Flimsy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 18 Apr, 16:17, wrote:
A few years ago, possibly, I recall seeing a table saw and a drill
press that used removable tools instead of fixed units. For example,
the table saw used a circular saw. The problem is, I have no idea who
makes it. Can any one shed some light on who might make these and if
they're any good?

Triton sell an excellent bench for circular saws. Record sell an
excellent power drill stand. HTH.